"big" projects in Gambas
Benoit Minisini
2005-02-08 10:17:09 UTC
Hi everyone,

I know I already ask that in the past, but I must answer to an interview for
the FOSDEM.

They ask me "Are there already some projects built with Gambas ?"

So please tell me if you wrote a Gambas application that is more useful than a
simple example or a simple "hello world". I knwo already a few of them, but
this way I can establish a list for the FOSDEM.

Thanks in advance for your answers,

Benoit Minisini
mailto:***@users.sourceforge.net
Teri Logan
2005-02-08 10:27:52 UTC
On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 11:17:09 +0100, Benoit Minisini
Post by Benoit Minisini
Hi everyone,
I know I already ask that in the past, but I must answer to an interview for
the FOSDEM.
They ask me "Are there already some projects built with Gambas ?"
So please tell me if you wrote a Gambas application that is more useful than a
simple example or a simple "hello world". I knwo already a few of them, but
this way I can establish a list for the FOSDEM.
Thanks in advance for your answers,
Benoit Minisini
Yeah,

I am writing in Gambas "Linux Workstation" - pack of tools and utils.

Currently I have done (version 0.2) shortcuts (windows-like), mime
support, background picture generator, "message of the day", autostart
tool, simple image viewer, simple filesystem browser (with support of
custom-folder icons and shortcut icons) and other supporting utils...

Teri Logan
scatman
2005-02-08 10:36:20 UTC
Post by Benoit Minisini
Hi everyone,
I know I already ask that in the past, but I must answer to an interview
for the FOSDEM.
They ask me "Are there already some projects built with Gambas ?"
So please tell me if you wrote a Gambas application that is more useful
than a simple example or a simple "hello world". I knwo already a few of
them, but this way I can establish a list for the FOSDEM.
looking at
http://developer.berlios.de/projects/dcover/
scatman
Mike Keehan
2005-02-08 10:56:30 UTC
Post by Benoit Minisini
Hi everyone,
I know I already ask that in the past, but I must answer to an interview for
the FOSDEM.
They ask me "Are there already some projects built with Gambas ?"
Hi Benoit,

I have used Gambas in a communications system for a government
department. The application provides the user interface for a system
that is running 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

The app is responsible for showing a continuously updated audit
logging window, setting up comms parameters, starting and stopping the
background comms programs (which are written in C), and allowing the
users to view individual messages, message queues, log files and for
general access to the system, e.g. backups/restores, config changes,
file loads etc.

It is running on a HP Pentium 4 server in a 1u rack, with SUSE 9 on
Linux 2.4.

It replaced a 10 year old system which used 24x80 terminals and ran on
SCO.

It has been very reliable so far :)

Mike.
Charlie Reinl
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Post by Benoit Minisini
simple example or a simple "hello world". I knwo already a few of them, but
this way I can establish a list for the FOSDEM.
Thanks in advance for your answers,
Benoit Minisini
Salut,

din't you remember that the IDE is a gambas-project ?

Amicalment
Charlie
* Gesendet mit / Sent by: FEN-Webmail * http://www.fen-net.de *
Benoit Minisini
2005-02-08 12:02:00 UTC
Post by Benoit Minisini
simple example or a simple "hello world". I knwo already a few of them, but
this way I can establish a list for the FOSDEM.
Thanks in advance for your answers,
Benoit Minisini
Salut,
din't you remember that the IDE is a gambas-project ?
Really ? You are kidding :-)
Marco Gusy
2005-02-08 13:39:32 UTC
Post by Charlie Reinl
din't you remember that the IDE is a gambas-project ?
Of course it's important to show to the interviewer that Gambas can be
practically useful.
I liked a lot Mike' story about using Linux + Gambas to replace a SCO unix
system.
Rob
2005-02-08 14:56:42 UTC
Post by Marco Gusy
I liked a lot Mike' story about using Linux + Gambas to
replace a SCO unix system.
Well, one of my clients is using Linux to replace SCO too, but my
Gambas app replaced a VB app they already had (they got rid of
24x80 terminals about 10 years ago.) I think replacing SCO with
Linux is a fairly popular pastime ;)

Rob
Eilert
2005-02-08 12:17:26 UTC
I am currently starting a new project for my own enterprise (a private
language school) to recode two programs which are running under VB. One
of them is a database for the students which includes financial features
and its own printing system. Making layout of the printing forms for it
easier is the task of the second program, a form editor with WYSIWYG
preview.

The database has 12000+ codelines in VB, the form editor is much
smaller. And I started with the form editor because without it, all
printing in the database won't be possible.

Up to now, I made a typewriting trainer, a file distribution tool for
the PC lab tutor and this small thing that lists the users online which
we discussed earlier.

Rolf
Regards,
neil lewis
2005-02-08 13:53:32 UTC
I have been writing (and am already using) an image processing
application for interlacing lenticular graphics using Gambas.
The project (LILi) is hosted on Sourceforge and is currently at versiuon
0.34.

Most image processing is handled by ImageMagick functions, called from
LILi, while Gambas provides an easy to use GUI and
all the program logic.

It's already very functional and can handle any type of lenticular lens
panel for vertical or horizontal interlacing. It can output images for
3D effects or animations.

LILi features single image and bulk loading, inline editing (still to be
completed), animated previewing, very fine pitch adjustment,
job logging, error logging (still to be completed), single or batch mode
processing, output in various image formats and will also
support output straight to print.

Neil Lewis (Photobod)
Pablo Vera

Regards,
Rob
2005-02-08 14:29:31 UTC
Post by Benoit Minisini
So please tell me if you wrote a Gambas application that is
more useful than a simple example or a simple "hello world". I
knwo already a few of them, but this way I can establish a
list for the FOSDEM.
I have finished about half a dozen applications commercially
using Gambas, but only for private use by my clients (they're
GPL code, but it's quite unlikely that they'll ever be
distributed.) They include specialized CD archiving apps,
document retrieval apps, and one big bank teller application
which I reimplemented from custom-control-laden VB code before
it was possible to import VB forms into Gambas.

Some of these are in production and some not, but all are ready
to deploy. Unfortunately, I can't name my company's clients.

Rob
José "L. Redrejo" Rodríguez
2005-02-08 14:51:36 UTC
El mar, 08-02-2005 a las 06:30 -0800,
Benoit Minisini <***@users.sourceforge.net> escribió:

I have used gambas for developing two projects in Extremadura primary
and high schools:
- Controlaulas
(http://forja.linex.org/project/showfiles.php?group_id=15&release_id=127
to download and http://www.itais.net/index.php?blog=3 for features (in
spanish) and screenshots ) allows the teacher controls the classroom and
have a lot of different tools to work interactively with the
students:start apps, switch on and off students pc, enable/disable them
internet, follow their steps using vnc, export teacher desktop to the
students to show things, share/unshare teacher printer, send message to
the desktops, send files, real time video and sound transmition using
videolan, etc. It was developed initially with qt, but now it has been
changed to gtk using Daniel Campos gtk component. It has been widely
tested and now it is being installed in our 65.000 linex computers.
- Usuarioscentros ( http://forja.linex.org/projects/usuarioscentros/ )
is another tool I developed. It allows the school system administrator
add/delete/modify user accounts. It exports all the students and
teachers data from the administrative school applications to a ldap
directory, creates and customize the HOME desktops and directories and
gives the permissions we have considered more useful. It is being
installed in every high and primary schools servers.

Both are gpl applications and can be installed in Debian using apt with
the LinEx repositories.

Regards.
Post by Benoit Minisini
Hi everyone,
I know I already ask that in the past, but I must answer to an interview for
the FOSDEM.
They ask me "Are there already some projects built with Gambas ?"
So please tell me if you wrote a Gambas application that is more useful than a
simple example or a simple "hello world". I knwo already a few of them, but
this way I can establish a list for the FOSDEM.
Thanks in advance for your answers,
Benoit Minisini
--__--__--
Message: 4
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 11:01:33 +0000
Subject: [Gambas-user] Transaction processing in Postgresq
Post by Benoit Minisini
I am trying to move an ACCESS database to GAMBAS & POSTGRESQL.
As part of this process I want to change the order of the rows in some
of the tables
to match the order of the primary key.
The following SQL command when submitted via PGADMINIII will achive
this objective:-
BEGIN;
SELECT * INTO TEMP footemp FROM foo ORDER BY foo_id;
DELETE FROM foo;
INSERT INTO foo SELECT * FROM footemp;
DROP TABLE footemp;
COMMIT;
This process has to be performed inside a transaction because there are
constrants
in other tables in the database which require some of the values in foo.
When i try to execute the sql commands from within gambas the
transaction fails
at the first deletion with an error indicating a broken constaint.
Does this mean gambas connot handle transactions?
alan
Transactions are supported!
Send me your code so that I can see which SQL commands are send to the
database driver...
Regards,
-- Benoit Minisini sorry to trouble you with this problem which i have
now found is due to a missing SQL command. There should be:- SET
CONSTAINTS ALL DEFERRED after tehe BEGIN regards Alan Bromley
--__--__--
Message: 8
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 14:33:36 +0100
| Hello,
|
| another question...
|
| When I declare public constaint in module (or class...)
|
| <pre>
| public const XXX as integer = 0
| </pre>
|
| I can access that only within module, not outside. is there any solution?
|
| Thanx, Teri

modulename.XXX = "My secret text"
print modulename.XXX
Just prefix the variable, constants or functions with "modulename."
Ron
--__--__--
Message: 12
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 14:39:32 +0100
Post by Benoit Minisini
din't you remember that the IDE is a gambas-project ?
Of course it's important to show to the interviewer that Gambas can be=20
practically useful.=20
I liked a lot Mike' story about using Linux + Gambas to replace a SCO unix=
=20
system.
--__--__--
Message: 13
End of Gambas-user Digest
Paolo Saudin
2005-02-08 17:13:14 UTC
I am developing a simple real-time data acquisition tool, which is currently
used by ARPA (Agance Règionale Protection Environment) of Aosta Valley for
collect ultraviolet radiation measures. http://gbdas.sourceforge.net/

Regards,
Paolo Saudin

Bodard Fabien
2005-02-08 20:59:15 UTC
Post by Benoit Minisini
Hi everyone,
I know I already ask that in the past, but I must answer to an interview
for the FOSDEM.
They ask me "Are there already some projects built with Gambas ?"
So please tell me if you wrote a Gambas application that is more useful
than a simple example or a simple "hello world". I knwo already a few of
them, but this way I can establish a list for the FOSDEM.
Thanks in advance for your answers,
Regards,
For my part ... i work on a complete vineyard estate management tool.
It specialised on the produce information storing from the vine to the cognac.
With custom information printing and management .

<fr>Oui et bien j'ai un peut de mal ce soir avec mon anglais... J'ai écrit un
logiciel de gestion de production. Il me gère actuellement les contenant en
chai,les matièe sèche, les nomenclature de fabrication et les produits finit.
Il gère les bons de commande et la facturation et permet l'édition des
document douanier de transport et de déclaration mensuel. Ainsi il gère la
traçabilité ascendante et descendante. Le tout est basé sur une base de
donnée mysql et permet un export vers sqlite (vive gambas !)
un connection distante est aussi possible. Je gère aussi toute les donnée
relative au client et fournisseur, ainsi que les information sur les matière
sèche ... HACCP oblige. Un export est possible vers une comptablité. (J'ai
encore beaucoup de travail avec la gestion des assolement, traitement,
parcellaire, main d'oeuvre et coût etc... mais j'ai tout mon temp et ça
demande des certification par les douanes et le fisc)

J'ai aussi dans ma botte un bomberman basé sur le composant sdl et en
débuggage un insectoide.

Et c'est que le début... ce que tu va pouvoir en raconter des choses !... Et
surtout franchement t'a pas à rougir, le résultat parle de lui même

<fr>

Sorry, i've forgot my english this night but the query was on this mailing
list...

Fabien Bodard
Leo Barnhoorn
2005-02-09 04:04:05 UTC
Hello Benoit,

I,m still writing together with Brant Wells the gcrypto library.
Here is the site for this project, http://wellston.biz/gcrypto

I have also written a program for freelancers with backend MySQL.
With this program i can manage the job-agency and the customers where i,m
working for, and all other kind of information what is important for me.

Now at this moment i,m writing a program for a lawyer's office this program
will do the complete financial administration off the office, and role
administration, manage documents and use also MySQL as backend.

Regards,
Leo Barnhoorn.
Trorrr \[Héctor Fernández\]
2005-02-09 14:52:18 UTC
Post by Pablo Vera
I developed a simple cyber-cafe access control
client, the server part
resides in a web server and is made with php.
Saludos,
Pablo Vera
Hey, it's intersting. I was trying to do something
similar: Windows client (:-( i dislike using wine or
cedega to run windows-for games) and GUI Linux server.
Have you published the source somewhere? I'm also
interested on how you locked the screen forbidding use
on a linux box. Bye.

Nuevos servicios, más seguridad
http://correo.yahoo.es
Rob
2005-02-09 15:03:13 UTC
On Wednesday 09 February 2005 09:52, Trorrr [Héctor Fernández]
Post by Trorrr \[Héctor Fernández\]
Have you published the source somewhere? I'm also
interested on how you locked the screen forbidding use
on a linux box. Bye.
I don't know how Pablo did it, but I have had some luck with
Window.FullScreen and Window.TopOnly as far as preventing the
user from doing anything but interacting with my app goes.
Sucks when you have to debug though... good thing Benoit put in
that Alt-Break keyboard shortcut ;)

Rob
Pablo Vera
2005-02-09 16:30:07 UTC
I haven't published the source, since it is still very alpha, but I will
in the near future. And yes, I used the .FullScreen and .TopOnly
properties to block the screen.

I created a special user account for the cyber-cafe and my program acts
differently if it is running under the "cafe" account or under my own
account. This helps a lot during debuging.

I also disabled the Alt-Tab and Alt-Ctrl-Del combination keys for the
"cafe" account, so that a user cannot switch out or terminate the program.

As it is right now, I don't like it very much, because it is to fragile.
Anyone with a little knowledge of linux, could easily disable it, so I
need to make it more secure.

Saludos,
Pablo Vera
Benoit Minisini
2005-02-10 09:56:15 UTC
Post by Pablo Vera
I haven't published the source, since it is still very alpha, but I will
in the near future. And yes, I used the .FullScreen and .TopOnly
properties to block the screen.
I created a special user account for the cyber-cafe and my program acts
differently if it is running under the "cafe" account or under my own
account. This helps a lot during debuging.
I also disabled the Alt-Tab and Alt-Ctrl-Del combination keys for the
"cafe" account, so that a user cannot switch out or terminate the program.
As it is right now, I don't like it very much, because it is to fragile.
Anyone with a little knowledge of linux, could easily disable it, so I
need to make it more secure.
Saludos,
Pablo Vera
Did you try to not start kde when you log in, but just your gambas program,
and eventually the window manager ?

Pablo Vera
2005-02-10 16:46:11 UTC
Yes, I thought about this, but haven't done it. I will try it.

Thanks,
Pablo Vera
Regards,
H.R. ter Veer
2005-02-10 11:33:23 UTC
On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 10:30:07 -0600
Pablo Vera <***@vercan.com> wrote:

for the system security you might need to:
- disable the window manager
- alter /etc/inittab to disable the other VTY's for the specific runtime
Post by Rob
On Wednesday 09 February 2005 09:52, Trorrr [Héctor Fernández]
Post by Trorrr \[Héctor Fernández\]
Have you published the source somewhere? I'm also
interested on how you locked the screen forbidding use
on a linux box. Bye.
I don't know how Pablo did it, but I have had some luck with
Window.FullScreen and Window.TopOnly as far as preventing the
user from doing anything but interacting with my app goes.
Sucks when you have to debug though... good thing Benoit put in
that Alt-Break keyboard shortcut ;)
Rob

Cast the calming apple
Up and over satellites
To draw out the timid wild one
To convince you it's alright
And I listen for the whisper
Of your sweet insanity while I formulate
Denials of your affect on me

You're a stranger
So what do I care
You vanish today
Not the first time I hear
All the lies

What am I to do with all this silence
Shy away, shy away phantom
Run away terrified child
Won't you move away you fucking tornado
I'm better off without you
Tearing my will down

-------------------------------------------- a Perfect Circle ----
HMB
2005-02-10 15:15:45 UTC
Salute Gambanesian,

i still write on a commercial application (GambaKaan=Gambas kaufmännische
Anwendung) for my brothers company, where he trades international with
chemicals. It is in use but i have to put much more work into it.

All printing outputs are realized with OpenOffice.

But now i am at a point that i need to rewrite and change big parts of the
basic code, because i didn't implemented a right-system to it, wich is now
needed, because i want to insert a complete accounting part for it.

Time is the biggest problem. But as far as i can tell you, the appclication
runs very smooth. Its fast and safe and very stable. The employee enjoy it
and love to work with it.

HM
Regards,
Eilert
2005-02-10 16:27:11 UTC
Post by HMB
Salute Gambanesian,
i still write on a commercial application (GambaKaan=Gambas kaufmännische
Anwendung) for my brothers company, where he trades international with
chemicals. It is in use but i have to put much more work into it.
All printing outputs are realized with OpenOffice.
Wow, how do you do that? Can you access OOo from Gambas? Or do you
produce text files to be read and formatted from OOo?

For my own programs in VB, I developed a printing system with special
forms and a form editor to manage that. Currently I'm re-writing the
code in Gambas to be able to use it here, too.

Rolf
Rob
2005-02-10 17:17:48 UTC
Post by Eilert
Wow, how do you do that? Can you access OOo from Gambas? Or do
you produce text files to be read and formatted from OOo?
Sorry to interject here, but I have looked into this myself and
am curious about what HMB did as well.

Using the gb.compress and gb.xml components, I believe it is
possible to construct or modify OOo documents, though it would
require A LOT of code to do so. There is a Perl module called
OpenOffice::OODoc which I hope to use as a reference in writing
a Gambas component to deal with OOo documents once Gambas
supports writing components in Gambas. (I'll likely write a set
of classes to include in various projects before then, but
ultimately it should be a component to help with version
management.)

My own printing in Gambas has been very similar to my printing in
VB... write a set of functions to maintain cursor position,
handle printing text and boxes, etc. without having to have
Draw.This and Draw.That in my business logic. Several of the
banking apps I have written required printing with consistent
text positioning (for printing on forms) and thankfully, Gambas
has proven to be up to the task.

Rob
Daniel Campos
2005-02-10 17:28:04 UTC
Post by Rob
Sorry to interject here, but I have looked into this myself and
am curious about what HMB did as well.
Using the gb.compress and gb.xml components, I believe it is
possible to construct or modify OOo documents,
You can use gb.xml, but not gb.compress, as OOo format is zipped,
not gzipped...

Regards,

D. Campos
HMB
2005-02-10 18:57:32 UTC
uuups, sorry to dissapoint you all here, but i only store all datas into a
mysql-database with gambas and made some formulars in/with oo where i connect
to the mysql-db and print then form-letters or other documents.

So sorry for that unclear writing.

HM
Eilert
2005-02-11 07:23:55 UTC
No need to excuse :-) I consider this a clever way. One could even go
further and use the built-in Macro Basic of OOo to create a surface for
it. I once thought of such a way when my brother-in-law asked me to
program a tool for his firm. The idea was to create a way of
client-order-input to works-order-output and financial/resources
management thing (eierlegende Wollmilchsau - eggs laying wool and milk
sow). At that time, I thought of a VB/MS-Office combination to handle
that, luckily :-) it never came about because the task seemed way too
large for us two laymen...

Meanwhile, with much more experience with my own programs, I could
imagine to develop something like that. But I'm not sure if combining it
so tightly with OOo would be so good as you glue your code to several
other underlying things: Qt, Gambas and OOo which tend to change and
draw away the foundations of your project, i. e. adapting it to an
emerging Gambas is ok, but considering constant changes in OOo and maybe
even more "helpers" would just be overkill, I'm afraid.

Rolf
pretore60
2005-02-12 15:40:46 UTC
Post by Rob
Post by Eilert
[...]
I'm very interesting to your job . I've proved to prepare some formulary
for my database (mysql) for football amatorial society, but i don't able
to. Can you send me some example?
Thank's.
Ottavio
HMB
2005-02-13 10:40:10 UTC
Salute Ottavio!
Post by pretore60
I'm very interesting to your job . I've proved to prepare some formulary
for my database (mysql) for football amatorial society, but i don't able
to. Can you send me some example?
Thank's.
Ottavio
As this are two different parts, i am not sure what you mean. Do you mean
examples how to write a form and store datas from it into a mysql tabel using
gambas, or do you need examples for connecting to a mysql-db and use this
data for a form-letter with openoffice?

HM
pretore60
2005-02-15 10:10:00 UTC
Post by HMB
Salute Ottavio!
Post by Rob
Post by Eilert
[...]
The first that you have told.
Thank's
Ottavio

LB Audio
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Please!!!

How to return Number Index in ColumnView ?

Not Key ( String )...

Ex: In listbox = ( ListBox1.Index ) Returned = 2... Not Text String

Lindomar.
H.R. ter Veer
2005-02-12 08:27:09 UTC
On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 00:03:56 -0200 (Horário brasileiro de verão)
Post by LB Audio
Please!!!
How to return Number Index in ColumnView ?
Not Key ( String )...
Ex: In listbox = ( ListBox1.Index ) Returned = 2... Not Text String
Lindomar.
use the .text member:
--
print ListBox1.Text
LB Audio
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
No text, Index Number in ColunmView.

Post by LB Audio
Please!!!
How to return Number Index in ColumnView ?
Not Key ( String )...
Ex: In listbox = ( ListBox1.Index ) Returned = 2... Not Text String
Lindomar.
use the .text member:
--
print ListBox1.Text

The only thing you can rely on is that you can't rely on anyting

H.R. ter Veer
2005-02-14 07:54:31 UTC
On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 09:16:30 -0200 (Horário brasileiro de verão)
"LB Audio" <***@ig.com.br> wrote:

Srooy, i misunderstood. (Or didn't read the question well).
I think you are looking for

ColumnView1.item.key ?

Good luck,

Harm Richt ter Veer

-------------------------------------------- a Perfect Circle ----
LB Audio
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Listbox return index.

ColumView not return index?

LB Audio.

Naveen Agarawal
2005-02-13 09:34:32 UTC
I just wanted to know if it is possible to use Gambas on 64 bit platform? May be there is some special version of Gambas to use on 64 bit platform.
Post by Rob
Post by Eilert
[...]

Every body has his shares of ups and downs but one should never say no to life.

Charlie Reinl
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Post by Naveen Agarawal
I just wanted to know if it is possible to use Gambas on 64 bit platform?
May be there is some special version of Gambas to use on 64 bit platform.
Salut,

please have a look into the mailinglists archiv .

There was said something like you have to compile it in 32 bit