Non terminated String
Dag Jarle Johansen
2010-02-03 18:56:25 UTC
Hi all,

I can't figure out what I have wrong here. I am generating subs and
functions, and use a lot of string-handling. In just one line I become
the error: Non terminated String, looks like this:

(1)
SQL = SQL & "user ='" & mOPT.CurUser & "',"

the source generating is:
(2)
S = SF & "SQL = SQL " & Chr(34) & " user = '" & Chr(34) & " &
mOPT.CurUser & " & Chr(34) & "',"

SF is just 4 Spaces.

if I (in 1) delete the space after "user='"_, here marked with an _, it
works. I have many lines generated, everywhere else it works.

to make it eaysier to see:

SQL = SQL & "user ='"_& mOPT.CurUser & "',"
the problem is here ^

does anyone have an idea?

thanks and regards,
Dag
Jussi Lahtinen
2010-02-03 19:30:46 UTC
I don't understand your problem.
What is your Gambas version and revision?
What are data types of SQL, S and mOPT.CurUser (I assume string)?
And what is the exact line of code that generates described error message?
With Gambas3 rev 2660 (@Ubuntu 9.10 64bit) I couldn't reproduce your problem.

Jussi

Dag Jarle Johansen
2010-02-03 19:56:29 UTC
Hi,

gambas 3 (or 2.99), revision i can't see :-(
SQL is string
S is STRING
mOPT.CurUser is string

the code line is:
S = SF & "SQL = SQL " & Chr(34) & " user = '" & Chr(34) & " &
mOPT.CurUser & " & Chr(34) & "',"

then write it with:
Print #hf2, S

Meanwhile I have solved it in another manner; because the last two lines
of SQL adding a record are always the same (storing user and creation
time), I just wrote a little textfile which I read here instead of
putting together the strings with &, and that works fine.

I still do not understand what is happening with the concatenation, but
hope I will not drop into that any more. I make an SVN-Update tonight
and hope for the best.

thanks for your time and concern,
regards
Dag
Jussi Lahtinen
2010-02-03 20:18:32 UTC
Post by Dag Jarle Johansen
gambas 3 (or 2.99), revision i can't see :-(
svn info
Post by Dag Jarle Johansen
S = SF & "SQL = SQL " & Chr(34) & " user = '" & Chr(34) & " & mOPT.CurUser & " & Chr(34) & "',"
" & mOPT.CurUser & " is inside of quote marks??

Jussi
Dag Jarle Johansen
2010-02-03 20:40:46 UTC
hi,

yes, because this is generated, and the user logged in is stored in
CurUser, and the variable then will be used. if not in quotes, there
would be the CurUser at the generation time (that would then always be
me). the finnished sub looks like this:

01 Public Sub but_DATA_BUD_New_Click()
02 CurSub = "but_DATA_BUD_New"
03 mMSg.MSG(1, "Neuanlage BUD")
04 SQL = "Insert Into " & BUD_TBL & " Set "
05 SQL = SQL & "datum='" & mIF.Init_SetNowDate() & "', "
06 SQL = SQL & "kommentar='NEU', "
07 SQL = SQL & " user = '" & mOPT.CurUser & "',"
08 SQL = SQL & "created ='" & mIF.Init_SetNow() & "'"
09 M.$Con.Exec(SQL)
10 mMSg.MSG(1, "Datensatz angelegt")
11 End

to better understanding of that all: I am writing a generator, and have
a sort of IDE; all data constructing the form comes partly from some
text-files which I parse, and the most of the data are stored in MySQL.
Line 01-04 comes from the data_panel_definition-table (there can be more
on one form),
Line 05-06 comes from a table, im which I define how to handle certain
fields adding an record, and there is no (easy) way to do that in MySQL,
and the lines 07 to 11 are always the same.

regards,
Dag
Jussi Lahtinen
2010-02-04 15:01:15 UTC
OK, I tested;

S = SF & "SQL = SQL " & Chr(34) & " user = '" & Chr(34) & " &
mOPT.CurUser & " & Chr(34) & "',"

hf2 = Open "somepath/testaus.txt" For Create
Print #hf2, S
Close hf2

No error messages.
Result was file with string; SQL = SQL " user = '" & mOPT.CurUser & "', in it.

I think there is something wrong in your box...

Jussi

Dag Jarle Johansen
2010-02-04 15:53:44 UTC
Hi Jussi,

thanks.

I have updatet to the last SVN, relase 2660. (thanks for the tip with
svn info, one never learns out). It all now works fine again. Still this
small stuff makes one hang for hours, and does not let you loose - why
is it so :) in 100-es of lines it works, in one - nada.

btw -one error in the line i sent you - (SQL " user), missing &, but
this was not the reason.

thanks again

regards
Dag