No interface showing
Steven Lobbezoo
2007-11-07 12:20:06 UTC
Hi,

Suddenly I got problems with gambas2 development environment.
I think it resulted from a change in clib (that was -automatically update for
some securety fixed from suse 10.2) or because i played around with the
options, like font, colors etc. from the development interface.

So, I deleted, recharged, compiled and installed the trunk this morning.

Now, if I start gambas2 as root all is fine. If I start it as
user 'steven' -as i use to do before - there is no interface showing.
So, I tried to delete the gambas directory from .config in my home directory ,
same result. so i tried gdb gbi2 and run : no errors.
There is no error whatsover, the program starts, and keeps running, but there
is no userinterface. If I do gbi2 -v (-p) it list all my modules, all are
loaded, no errors.

Any idea what I could do ?

Steven
Laurent Carlier
2007-11-07 12:48:47 UTC
Post by Steven Lobbezoo
[...]
Where gambas 2 is installed ?

try 'echo $PATH' as normal user and as root
try to run gambas 2 from a shell

++
Steven Lobbezoo
2007-11-07 12:56:41 UTC
Post by Laurent Carlier
Post by Steven Lobbezoo
[...]
gambas2 is in /usr/local/bin
Tried that allready. Same effect : runs as 'root' without a problem, does not
show anything as 'steven'. I found out that there is one error if I do
gbi2 it says :
gb.vb
gbi2: ERROR: Cannot write file: /usr/local/share/gambas2/info/gb.vb.info
So, i changed the files in the info directory (chmod 666 *), the error
dissapears, but still the same result : root runs, steven does not ;-)

Steven
Steven Lobbezoo
2007-11-07 16:44:45 UTC
Hi,

I tried to install and use a new user on the system.
Does not help either. Only root can use gambas2.

Steven
Steven Lobbezoo
2007-11-08 16:16:59 UTC
Hi,

In the mean time i tried a complete new installation of the latest trunk.
Still no changes : gbr2 strats, and then does not show any window, it stays
running, but no interaction with the sceen.

Also : why does gbr2 tries to write /usr/local/share/gambas2/info/gb.vb.info
its installed 600 owner root, so cannot be written by normal users.

Steven
Benoit Minisini
2007-11-08 16:20:29 UTC
Post by Steven Lobbezoo
Hi,
In the mean time i tried a complete new installation of the latest trunk.
Still no changes : gbr2 strats, and then does not show any window, it stays
running, but no interaction with the sceen.
Also : why does gbr2 tries to write
/usr/local/share/gambas2/info/gb.vb.info its installed 600 owner root, so
cannot be written by normal users.
Steven
???

gbr2 does not try to write gb.vb.info. It never looks inside this directory,
unless the project it runs asks for it.
Benoit Minisini
Benoit Minisini
2007-11-08 16:21:59 UTC
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Steven Lobbezoo
Hi,
In the mean time i tried a complete new installation of the latest trunk.
Still no changes : gbr2 strats, and then does not show any window, it
stays running, but no interaction with the sceen.
Also : why does gbr2 tries to write
/usr/local/share/gambas2/info/gb.vb.info its installed 600 owner root, so
cannot be written by normal users.
Steven
???
gbr2 does not try to write gb.vb.info. It never looks inside this
directory, unless the project it runs asks for it.
OK, you wanted to say gbi2. But what are you doing with gbi2? This program is
only used at installation time, you normally never have to use it yourself.
Benoit Minisini
Steven Lobbezoo
2007-11-08 16:33:02 UTC
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Steven Lobbezoo
Hi,
In the mean time i tried a complete new installation of the latest
trunk. Still no changes : gbr2 strats, and then does not show any
window, it stays running, but no interaction with the sceen.
Also : why does gbr2 tries to write
/usr/local/share/gambas2/info/gb.vb.info its installed 600 owner root,
so cannot be written by normal users.
Steven
???
gbr2 does not try to write gb.vb.info. It never looks inside this
directory, unless the project it runs asks for it.
OK, you wanted to say gbi2. But what are you doing with gbi2? This program
is only used at installation time, you normally never have to use it
yourself.
Sorry, in the heat of trying anything to get back up i made some mistakes.
If I do this :
gdb gbr2

GNU gdb 6.5
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i586-suse-linux"...Using host libthread_db
library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".

(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/local/bin/gbr2
Failed to read a valid object file image from memory.
ERROR: #45: File or directory does not exist

Program exited with code 01.
(gdb) quit

The result is as above. If I type gambas2, gbr2 starts running, but nothing
shows. So how can I find whats happening ?

Steven
Benoit Minisini
2007-11-08 16:53:36 UTC
Post by Steven Lobbezoo
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Steven Lobbezoo
[...]
are welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
conditions. Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i586-suse-linux"...Using host libthread_db
library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/local/bin/gbr2
Failed to read a valid object file image from memory.
ERROR: #45: File or directory does not exist
Program exited with code 01.
(gdb) quit
The result is as above. If I type gambas2, gbr2 starts running, but nothing
shows. So how can I find whats happening ?
Steven
You must run gbx2 (and not gbr2) inside the gambas2 source directory. gbr2 is
only used for running *.gambas files.
Benoit Minisini
Steven Lobbezoo
2007-11-08 17:08:28 UTC
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Steven Lobbezoo
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Steven Lobbezoo
[...]
Did that :

***@steven:~/trunk/main> gdb gbx2
GNU gdb 6.5
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i586-suse-linux"...Using host libthread_db
library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".

(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/local/bin/gbx2

--------------> so still the same result

Steven
Benoit Minisini
2007-11-08 17:14:38 UTC
Post by Steven Lobbezoo
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Steven Lobbezoo
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Steven Lobbezoo
[...]
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and
you are welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under
[...]
When I said 'gambas2', I mean the IDE source code directory. And I said
*gbx2*, not *gbr2*!

gbx2 is an interpreter. It interprets what it founds inside its current
directory (a gambas project normally).

When you type 'gambasé', you actually run 'gambas2.gambas', which is a gambas
project archived in one file.

'gbr2' only runs these archived files. You must use 'gbx2' when running a non
compressed gambas project directory.

Benoit Minisini
Steven Lobbezoo
2007-11-08 17:26:13 UTC
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Steven Lobbezoo
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Steven Lobbezoo
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Steven Lobbezoo
[...]
Regards,
I thought I did (see above lines ...), whatever.
So I cd onto my development directory and this is what happens :

***@steven:~/request_dev> gdb gbx2
GNU gdb 6.5
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i586-suse-linux"...Using host libthread_db
library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".

(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/local/bin/gbx2
Failed to read a valid object file image from memory.
[New Thread -1210287808 (LWP 29198)]
Error while reading shared library symbols:
Cannot find new threads: generic error
<<<<<<<<<<after about 30 secs wait I press Ctrl-C here >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
[Switching to Thread -1210287808 (LWP 29198)]
0xb7f55410 in ?? ()
(gdb)

Regards,
Steven
Benoit Minisini
2007-11-09 18:41:08 UTC
Post by Steven Lobbezoo
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Steven Lobbezoo
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Steven Lobbezoo
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Steven Lobbezoo
[...]
conditions. There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Steven Lobbezoo
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Steven Lobbezoo
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Steven Lobbezoo
Post by Steven Lobbezoo
[Switching to Thread -1210287808 (LWP 29198)]
0xb7f55410 in ?? ()
(gdb)
Regards,
Steven
Now you can type 'bt' to know where it stopped.
Benoit Minisini
Steven Lobbezoo
2007-11-10 10:09:16 UTC
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Steven Lobbezoo
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Steven Lobbezoo
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Steven Lobbezoo
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Steven Lobbezoo
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Steven Lobbezoo
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Steven Lobbezoo
Post by Steven Lobbezoo
[Switching to Thread -1210287808 (LWP 29198)]
0xb7f55410 in ?? ()
(gdb)
Regards,
Steven
Now you can type 'bt' to know where it stopped.
Did that allready, but to me the output is chinese :
(gdb) bt
#0 0xb7f2a410 in ?? ()
#1 0xbfa15de4 in ?? ()
#2 0x00000002 in ?? ()
#3 0x00000000 in ?? ()

Does not tell me anything.

Steven
Benoit Minisini
2007-11-10 11:51:35 UTC
(gdb) bt
#0 0xb7f2a410 in ?? ()
#1 0xbfa15de4 in ?? ()
#2 0x00000002 in ?? ()
#3 0x00000000 in ?? ()
Does not tell me anything.
Steven
Maybe I forgot to told you that gbx2 must be run with the '-p' option inside a
debugger.

$ cd /path/to/the/ide/source/code
$ gdb gbx2
(gdb) run -p
//// Hit CTRL-C
(gdb) bt
..

Otherwisse, another useful thing to do is using the 'strace' program. It trace
all system class made by a program, and so you could see what it exactly does
approximately.

$ cd /path/to/the/ide/source/code
$ strace gbx2 -p > strace.out 2>&1

Do that as root (when the IDE runs normally), and as a normal user (when it
does not work).

Then send me the two strace.out files, so that I can compare them.

Benoit Minisini
Steven Lobbezoo
2007-11-10 12:50:58 UTC
Post by Benoit Minisini
Maybe I forgot to told you that gbx2 must be run with the '-p' option
inside a debugger.
$ cd /path/to/the/ide/source/code
$ gdb gbx2
(gdb) run -p
//// Hit CTRL-C
(gdb) bt
..
Otherwisse, another useful thing to do is using the 'strace' program. It
trace all system class made by a program, and so you could see what it
exactly does approximately.
$ cd /path/to/the/ide/source/code
$ strace gbx2 -p > strace.out 2>&1
Do that as root (when the IDE runs normally), and as a normal user (when it
does not work).
Then send me the two strace.out files, so that I can compare them.
Regards,
First item : result is the same it's ->
(gdb) run -p
Starting program: /usr/local/bin/gbx2 -p
Failed to read a valid object file image from memory.
[New Thread -1210652352 (LWP 22182)]
Error while reading shared library symbols:
Cannot find new threads: generic error

[Switching to Thread -1210652352 (LWP 22182)]
0xb7efc410 in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0 0xb7efc410 in ?? ()
#1 0xbff86ef4 in ?? ()
#2 0x00000002 in ?? ()
#3 0x00000000 in ?? ()
(gdb) quit
The program is running. Exit anyway? (y or n) y
second item, here are the results :
strace.out (root) and strace_user.out (steven).
ps. I hope this passes, strace.out is big ???
Post by Benoit Minisini
No, this is the second try, I've cut only the first part of
strace.out = strace2.out

I had I look into user.out and think (if I may ;-) ) that the problem is with
the locale vars/
open("/usr/share/locale/fr_FR.utf8/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT
(
No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale-langpack/fr_FR/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1
ENOE
NT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale/fr_FR/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No
su
ch file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale-langpack/fr.UTF-8/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1
NOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale/fr.UTF-8/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT
(No
such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale-langpack/fr.utf8/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1
EN
OENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale/fr.utf8/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT
(No
such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale-langpack/fr/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1
ENOENT
(No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) = 16
fstat64(16, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=120888, ...}) = 0
mmap2(NULL, 120888, PROT_READ, MAP_PRIVATE, 16, 0) = 0xb5cf1000

I checked, and I only have /usr/share/locale/fr and fr_FR , not fr.utf8 or
fr.UTF-8

Regards,
Steven
Steven Lobbezoo
2007-11-10 17:00:32 UTC
Maybe thius helps :

If I do gambas2 from an 'fresh' - just installed user I get :
***@steven:~> gambas2
Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the
authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based
authentication failed

***@steven:~>

If I start an application from steven Desktop with command :
'/home/steven/request_dev/request.gambas'
The project starts ok.
Only if I type gambas2 the application "hangs".
It's just the startup screen where you select your project that's NOT showing.

Regards
Robert Chéramy
2007-11-12 13:03:52 UTC
Hello Steven,

I'm sorry if this a lame question but just to be sure:
are you able to start "xterm" from the same shell you try to start gambas2 ?

I'm asking this because things working as root but not as a normal user
(even a brand new user) indicates an access right problem (like
/dev/null not writeable for a user). Maybe you have a wrong $DISPLAY set
or something like this.

Please also try to move your /root folder (I assume this is where the
home for user root is on your system) to /root.backup and create a new,
empty /root folder. This is to test if there is a difference between a
brand new root and a brand new user :-)

Cheers,

tibob
Steven Lobbezoo
2007-11-12 13:42:43 UTC
Hi Robert,

I tried out what you suggested :
The results are below

Steven
Post by Robert Chéramy
Hello Steven,
are you able to start "xterm" from the same shell you try to start gambas2 ?
Yes, that works.
Post by Robert Chéramy
I'm asking this because things working as root but not as a normal user
(even a brand new user) indicates an access right problem (like
/dev/null not writeable for a user). Maybe you have a wrong $DISPLAY set
or something like this.
But, i did not change anything (exept from the automatic opensuse updates -
which are all, as far as i remember, securaty related.
Post by Robert Chéramy
Please also try to move your /root folder (I assume this is where the
home for user root is on your system) to /root.backup and create a new,
empty /root folder. This is to test if there is a difference between a
brand new root and a brand new user :-)
Ok, i tried that the result is :
steven:/ # gambas2
Xlib: No protocol specified

gambas2: cannot connect to X server :0.0
steven:/ #
Post by Robert Chéramy
Cheers,
tibob
Stefano Palmeri
2007-11-12 14:44:56 UTC
Post by Steven Lobbezoo
Hi Robert,
The results are below
Steven
Hello Steven,
Post by Robert Chéramy
Please also try to move your /root folder (I assume this is where the
home for user root is on your system) to /root.backup and create a new,
empty /root folder. This is to test if there is a difference between a
brand new root and a brand new user :-)
steven:/ # gambas2
Xlib: No protocol specified
gambas2: cannot connect to X server :0.0
steven:/ #
Try as normal user, on console:

xhost +

then

gambas2

Stefano
Post by Steven Lobbezoo
Post by Robert Chéramy
Cheers,
tibob
Steven Lobbezoo
2007-11-12 16:01:26 UTC
Post by Stefano Palmeri
Post by Steven Lobbezoo
Hi Robert,
The results are below
Steven
Hello Steven,
Post by Robert Chéramy
Please also try to move your /root folder (I assume this is where the
home for user root is on your system) to /root.backup and create a new,
empty /root folder. This is to test if there is a difference between a
brand new root and a brand new user :-)
steven:/ # gambas2
Xlib: No protocol specified
gambas2: cannot connect to X server :0.0
steven:/ #
xhost +
then
gambas2
Stefano
Post by Steven Lobbezoo
Post by Robert Chéramy
Cheers,
tibob
Post by Steven Lobbezoo
Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of
the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based
authentication failed
'/home/steven/request_dev/request.gambas'
The project starts ok.
Only if I type gambas2 the application "hangs".
It's just the startup screen where you select your project that's NOT showing.
Regards
I did try this. when I do xhost + I get back :
access control disabled, clients can connect from any host

Then gambas2
does not come back, the app hangs ...
So : The same result, it's not the Xserver refusing acces.

Thanks anyway for the tip .

Steven
Steven Lobbezoo
2007-11-12 17:16:07 UTC
The stragest thing happens now:
If I start my app by going into the deveopment directory and cliqing
the .gambas file, it starts. I can see the interface. I can use the
application. Under KDE it runs just fine, under Gnome I can only use it for 1
minute or so, then it hangs.
The gambas2 command still hangs (KDE and Gnome).

Steven
Steven Lobbezoo
2007-11-13 14:09:41 UTC
Hi,

In the ongoing search for enlightment conceirning the not showing stratup
screen for gambas2 I got the following :

steven:/home/steven # gambas2&
[1] 7743
steven:/home/steven # dcopserver&
[2] 8183
[1] Done gambas2
steven:/home/steven # dcopserver&
[3] 8191
[2] Done dcopserver
steven:/home/steven # ---------------------------------
It looks like dcopserver is already running. If you are sure
that it is not already running, remove /root/.DCOPserver_steven__0
and start dcopserver again.
---------------------------------
[3]+ Done dcopserver

As you can see, i started gambas2 as root. Then worked for an hour on my app
and stopped it. Then, after about 20 minutes, i was going to test something
else, so I gave the command dcopserver& in the same shell. And, to my
supprise I got [1] Done gambas2 back immediatly ??????? why I don't know, it
was allready terminated for 20 minutes.

All this must have something to do with accès rights distributed via
dcopserver, because, after above, each time I start an kde application I get
an error message, that I have to check if the dcopserver is running. I donnot
know why, since it's running ! (which was the reason in the first place that
I entered the decopserver& command.

Steven