feature suggestions: detach and rearrange tabs
Kevin Fishburne
2014-02-19 02:11:15 UTC
I don't know how difficult this would be, but if detachable tabs could
be implemented (think Chrome browser), that would be awesome. Tangential
to that would be the ability to rearrange tabs by dragging and dropping,
or perhaps doing a right-click "Sort by Name".

Having them detachable would allow productive use of a multi-head setup.
Often I find myself switching back and forth between two procedures in a
very long module, or needing to use one code block as a reference as I'm
writing code elsewhere. I often resort to pasting the code in a text
editor on my right monitor.

I know there is a split pane option, but sometimes a program gets a
little crazy and you have 10000 lines of code in a module with some
300-character-long lines; that is difficult to work with even in a
non-split view. Perhaps for GAMBAS 4?
--
Kevin Fishburne
Eight Virtues
phone: (770) 853-6271
Fabien Bodard
Kevin Fishburne
2014-02-21 02:23:40 UTC
Post by Fabien Bodard
And adobe/gimp boxes too... It's an old dream
Is that your way of telling me I need to start programming in my sleep?
I guess I'll keep dreaming, then. :)
phone: (770) 853-6271
Fabien Bodard
2014-02-21 09:02:09 UTC
No i've begin that project there is 8 years ... just between gambas1
and gambas2. The form.reparent function was done for that use.
But in the past i was not as sharp as now..

I think there is something to do with TabPanel. I need to investigate
but do nt disturb me too much i need to progress on reports :-)
Fabien Bodard
Benoît Minisini
2014-04-08 23:01:35 UTC
Post by Kevin Fishburne
I don't know how difficult this would be, but if detachable tabs could
be implemented (think Chrome browser), that would be awesome. Tangential
to that would be the ability to rearrange tabs by dragging and dropping,
or perhaps doing a right-click "Sort by Name".
Having them detachable would allow productive use of a multi-head setup.
Often I find myself switching back and forth between two procedures in a
very long module, or needing to use one code block as a reference as I'm
writing code elsewhere. I often resort to pasting the code in a text
editor on my right monitor.
I know there is a split pane option, but sometimes a program gets a
little crazy and you have 10000 lines of code in a module with some
300-character-long lines; that is difficult to work with even in a
non-split view. Perhaps for GAMBAS 4?
IDE workspace tabs are now moveable in revision #6239. But you cannot
detach them yet.
Benoît Minisini
Jussi Lahtinen
2014-04-09 23:32:05 UTC
Great! Thanks!

Jussi

Kevin Fishburne
2014-04-13 01:50:57 UTC
Post by Benoît Minisini
Post by Kevin Fishburne
[...]
Works brilliantly, thanks. Once they can be detached/reattached,
dual-monitor configurations around the world will be deafened by cheers
of joy, and mothers will tell their children of that most glorious of days.
phone: (770) 853-6271
Benoît Minisini
2014-05-19 16:01:41 UTC
Post by Kevin Fishburne
I don't know how difficult this would be, but if detachable tabs could
be implemented (think Chrome browser), that would be awesome. Tangential
to that would be the ability to rearrange tabs by dragging and dropping,
or perhaps doing a right-click "Sort by Name".
Having them detachable would allow productive use of a multi-head setup.
Often I find myself switching back and forth between two procedures in a
very long module, or needing to use one code block as a reference as I'm
writing code elsewhere. I often resort to pasting the code in a text
editor on my right monitor.
I know there is a split pane option, but sometimes a program gets a
little crazy and you have 10000 lines of code in a module with some
300-character-long lines; that is difficult to work with even in a
non-split view. Perhaps for GAMBAS 4?
Detaching and attaching tabs have been implemented since revision #6280.
It's not just for the IDE, but for all users of the Workspace control.

Benoît Minisini
Kevin Fishburne
2014-05-20 02:15:36 UTC
Post by Benoît Minisini
Post by Kevin Fishburne
[...]
Wow. Works brilliantly. The only wonky thing I've found is reattaching a
detached tab adds it to the root IDE GUI instead of down with all the
other tabs. Not a big deal, as the module/class can just be
double-clicked in the left pane to restore it. Dual monitor users:
Rejoice! Thanks, Benoît.

I also just noticed that after detaching a tab, I can attach it to other
programs, such as Thunderbird. That's fucking nuts. Love it. :)
phone: (770) 853-6271
Benoît Minisini
2014-05-20 12:11:31 UTC
#6280. It's not just for the IDE, but for all users of the
Workspace control.
Wow. Works brilliantly.
Cool.
Post by Kevin Fishburne
The only wonky thing I've found is reattaching a detached tab adds it
to the root IDE GUI instead of down with all the other tabs.
What are you talking about?
Post by Kevin Fishburne
Not a big deal, as the module/class can just be double-clicked in the
left pane to restore it. Dual monitor users: Rejoice! Thanks,
Benoît.
I also just noticed that after detaching a tab, I can attach it to
other programs, such as Thunderbird. That's fucking nuts. Love it.
:)
WTF are you talking about again? You are kidding?
Benoît Minisini
Fabien Bodard
2014-05-20 12:41:40 UTC
Hum ... cool :-)

And Drag and Drop ?
Fabien Bodard
Kevin Fishburne
2014-05-21 20:47:46 UTC
#6280. It's not just for the IDE, but for all users of the
Workspace control.
Wow. Works brilliantly.
Cool.
Post by Kevin Fishburne
Not a big deal, as the module/class can just be double-clicked in the
left pane to restore it. Dual monitor users: Rejoice! Thanks,
Benoît.
I also just noticed that after detaching a tab, I can attach it to
other programs, such as Thunderbird. That's fucking nuts. Love it.
:)
WTF are you talking about again? You are kidding?
Maybe this is normal KDE behavior that I've never noticed, but here is a
video capture of me first detaching a tab and attaching it to a console
window, then reattaching it back to the GAMBAS IDE:

http://eightvirtues.com/sanctimonia/misc/GAMBAS%20Tabs.mp4

Maybe I'm holding it wrong? :)
phone: (770) 853-6271
Tobias Boege
2014-05-21 22:05:23 UTC
Post by Kevin Fishburne
#6280. It's not just for the IDE, but for all users of the
Workspace control.
Wow. Works brilliantly.
Cool.
Post by Kevin Fishburne
Not a big deal, as the module/class can just be double-clicked in the
left pane to restore it. Dual monitor users: Rejoice! Thanks,
Beno?t.
I also just noticed that after detaching a tab, I can attach it to
other programs, such as Thunderbird. That's fucking nuts. Love it.
:)
WTF are you talking about again? You are kidding?
Maybe this is normal KDE behavior that I've never noticed, but here is a
video capture of me first detaching a tab and attaching it to a console
http://eightvirtues.com/sanctimonia/misc/GAMBAS%20Tabs.mp4
Maybe I'm holding it wrong? :)
Sweet but it doesn't work like this over here... (with TDE).

Also, I noticed you are still using large embedded arrays in your code. Do
we need to work the cons over again? :-)

Regards,
Tobi
Benoît Minisini
2014-05-21 22:21:40 UTC
Post by Kevin Fishburne
#6280. It's not just for the IDE, but for all users of the
Workspace control.
Wow. Works brilliantly.
Cool.
Post by Kevin Fishburne
Not a big deal, as the module/class can just be double-clicked in the
left pane to restore it. Dual monitor users: Rejoice! Thanks,
Benoît.
I also just noticed that after detaching a tab, I can attach it to
other programs, such as Thunderbird. That's fucking nuts. Love it.
:)
WTF are you talking about again? You are kidding?
Maybe this is normal KDE behavior that I've never noticed, but here is a
video capture of me first detaching a tab and attaching it to a console
http://eightvirtues.com/sanctimonia/misc/GAMBAS%20Tabs.mp4
Maybe I'm holding it wrong? :)
Ah, ok! This has nothing to do with Gambas. This is a KDE Oxygen window
manager feature that allows to display different top levels windows in
the same top-level tab.
--
Benoît Minisini