gambas for iphone or ipad apps
Tomas Rodriguez
2010-08-19 06:41:12 UTC
Hi
I would like to know How can I developer apps for ipod or iphone with
gambas?
somebody can tell me that?
thanks
tomas
Phạm Quang Dương
2010-08-19 10:55:42 UTC
As I know, there's no way to do that.
The only way to develop app for Iphone ( and this app can run on device /
sell on store ) is use xcode IDE running on Mac.
a***@yahoo.ca
2010-08-19 13:35:09 UTC
You means that fordeveloper any apps for ipod or iphones is with xcodes on mac? Not for other enviroments?
Thanks
Tomas

2010-08-21 07:37:15 UTC
What about android on arm? Gambas can compile in arm right?
There's a lot of cheap (made in china) android tablet in the market.
If gambas (ide and compiled app.) can run on those platform, I'd like to
order some of those.
Would be nice too, since we would be able to make android application
using gambas, even develop on it too.

salam
-iggy
Rob
2010-08-21 17:50:44 UTC
Post by Iggy Budiman
What about android on arm? Gambas can compile in arm right?
There's a lot of cheap (made in china) android tablet in the market.
If gambas (ide and compiled app.) can run on those platform, I'd like to
order some of those.
Would be nice too, since we would be able to make android application
using gambas, even develop on it too.
Android is Linux-based but doesn't run X. You code for it in Java using
Google's own APIs. But they recently came out with a "native development
kit" to allow easier porting of games, and it might be that parts of Gambas
could be ported to that.

Someone has started working on porting Qt to Android, also using the NDK.
Until that's ready, you'd have to either roll your own interfaces in SDL or
write your own widget set for Android, though (I think a gb.sdl.interface
component has been a long time coming but haven't had time myself.) Either
way, you'll be running into the problem that your apps don't look native,
so you might as well just be writing a web app. But it should be possible.

I've been writing Java code on and off for about 12 years, so I've been
doing some Android development myself, using Eclipse and some plugins to
make GUI development less of a pain. But it's not as elegant as Gambas,
and likely never will be.

Google also has "App Inventor", which allows you to make basic Android apps
with little to no coding, but at a much higher level than Gambas, with far
less control (they provide pre-coded graphical "blocks" to assemble your
program logic, flowchart style, instead of controls and methods/properties
like Gambas). It's more like one of the old game construction kits from
the 90s than a development environment, but all they're doing is changing
commands and parameters to little puzzle pieces you fit together into
"blocks" that are essentially lines of code.

You have to request an invitation, so I haven't tried it yet. I also don't
think you can start an app in there and finish it by writing code in
Eclipse. But I guess that's what I'd recommend trying for a Gambas
programmer who wants to develop for Android, at least until someone ports
Gambas in a way that makes it feel native.

I've been waiting for a cheap Chinese tablet with a multitouch capacitative
touchscreen as a test device, since most phones coming out now are
multitouch and capacitative (use your finger, not a stylus). If you know
of any like that and could send me a link privately, I'd appreciate it.

Rob

Rob
2010-08-19 14:26:49 UTC
Post by Tomas Rodriguez
I would like to know How can I developer apps for ipod or iphone with
gambas?
According to Apple's own iPhone developer agreement,

"Applications must be originally written in Objective-C, C, C++, or
JavaScript as executed by the iPhone OS WebKit engine, and only code
written in C, C++, and Objective-C may compile and directly link against
the Documented APIs ..."

So even if you were able to write programs for the iPhone in Gambas, doing
so would get you rejected from the App Store. To develop more than web
apps for the iPhone, you need to buy a Mac and learn Objective-C (which is
their preferred language), C or C++. Most likely Objective-C, since C and
C++ can be used in cross-platform toolkits and Apple is doing its best to
kill those off. They might institute an Objective-C-only policy in the
future.

It may be possible to port Gambas and an X server to the iPhone/iPad for
use by users with jailbroken devices, but without a profit or fame motive,
I don't see anyone putting the effort into that.

I already went down this path about a year ago, and Apple's only gotten
stricter since then.

Rob