How to make your gambas project compile using autoconf tools
M0E Lnx
2008-06-19 19:47:48 UTC
I've been writing gambas for a while now... continuosly developing 2
applications.
I'd like to distribute my software in a way that the end user can
compile in a way similar to how the gambas tarball compiles.

./configure && make && make install

instead of distributing binaries.

Does anyone have a clue how this is done?
Stefano Palmeri
2008-06-19 21:04:41 UTC
Post by M0E Lnx
I've been writing gambas for a while now... continuosly developing 2
applications.
I'd like to distribute my software in a way that the end user can
compile in a way similar to how the gambas tarball compiles.
./configure && make && make install
instead of distributing binaries.
Does anyone have a clue how this is done?
In the IDE menu go to:

Project --> Make --> Installation Package

and then select "Autotools" when the wizard asks
for the type of package you want to create.

Stefano
M0E Lnx
2008-06-19 21:34:32 UTC
Sweet mother of God!...

I did not know that

Very nice. Thank you for providing such a kool way to do this
Stefano Palmeri
2008-06-19 21:45:07 UTC
Post by M0E Lnx
Sweet mother of God!...
I did not know that
Very nice. Thank you for providing such a kool way to do this
Not me. Thanks Benoit and Laurent Carlier.
M0E Lnx
2008-06-19 21:52:01 UTC
One minor problem though... I just did my application with this
after some testing... here are the results

running configure without arguments does not install the binary to the system

running it with the --prefix=/usr argument results in a new directory
in /usr called usr... so the binary really ends up in
/usr/usr/vpackager.gambas

How do I fix this?
Stefano Palmeri
2008-06-20 08:17:01 UTC
Post by M0E Lnx
One minor problem though... I just did my application with this
after some testing... here are the results
running configure without arguments does not install the binary to the system
running it with the --prefix=/usr argument results in a new directory
in /usr called usr... so the binary really ends up in
/usr/usr/vpackager.gambas
How do I fix this?
I confirm. This seems to be a bug. If I run
./configure without arguments then it installs
the binary in:

/usr/local/usr/local/bin/myprogram.gambas.

instead of the expected:

/usr/local/bin/myprogram.gambas

You have to wait for the boss fix ;-)

Stefano
Post by M0E Lnx
Laurent Carlier
2008-06-20 10:25:08 UTC
Post by M0E Lnx
Post by Stefano Palmeri
Post by M0E Lnx
Sweet mother of God!...
I did not know that
Very nice. Thank you for providing such a kool way to do this
Not me. Thanks Benoit and Laurent Carlier.
Post by M0E Lnx
On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 4:04 PM, Stefano Palmeri
Post by Stefano Palmeri
Post by M0E Lnx
I've been writing gambas for a while now... continuosly developing
2 applications.
I'd like to distribute my software in a way that the end user can
compile in a way similar to how the gambas tarball compiles.
./configure && make && make install
instead of distributing binaries.
Does anyone have a clue how this is done?
Project --> Make --> Installation Package
and then select "Autotools" when the wizard asks
for the type of package you want to create.
Stefano
Thanks for the report, it should be fixed in svn commit 1419.

Gambas executable is saved in sbin dir and take care of prefix.

++
Stefano Palmeri
2008-06-20 11:28:11 UTC
Post by Laurent Carlier
Post by Stefano Palmeri
Post by M0E Lnx
One minor problem though... I just did my application with this
after some testing... here are the results
running configure without arguments does not install the binary to the system
running it with the --prefix=/usr argument results in a new directory
in /usr called usr... so the binary really ends up in
/usr/usr/vpackager.gambas
How do I fix this?
I confirm. This seems to be a bug. If I run
./configure without arguments then it installs
/usr/local/usr/local/bin/myprogram.gambas.
/usr/local/bin/myprogram.gambas
You have to wait for the boss fix ;-)
Stefano
Post by M0E Lnx
Post by Stefano Palmeri
Post by M0E Lnx
I've been writing gambas for a while now... continuosly
developing 2 applications.
I'd like to distribute my software in a way that the end user can
compile in a way similar to how the gambas tarball compiles.
./configure && make && make install
instead of distributing binaries.
Does anyone have a clue how this is done?
Project --> Make --> Installation Package
and then select "Autotools" when the wizard asks
for the type of package you want to create.
Stefano
Thanks for the report, it should be fixed in svn commit 1419.
Gambas executable is saved in sbin dir and take care of prefix.
++
Laurent, don't you think it should be better that the default
destination of the executable was /usr/local/bin?

/sbin often is not in the $PATH of normal users.

My little opinion :-)

Stefano
Ron
2008-06-20 11:49:59 UTC
Post by Stefano Palmeri
Post by Laurent Carlier
Post by Stefano Palmeri
Post by M0E Lnx
[...]
/sbin is reserved for superuser/root commands (hence the s), and even
only those who must be available during a singleuser mode, aka to repair
disks etc.
/usr/sbin is reserved for the rest of the root commands.

/usr/local/bin is for all third party software, so it belongs there...

Regards,
Ron.
Laurent Carlier
2008-06-20 12:11:06 UTC
Post by Ron
Post by Stefano Palmeri
Laurent, don't you think it should be better that the default
destination of the executable was /usr/local/bin?
/sbin often is not in the $PATH of normal users.
My little opinion :-)
Stefano
/sbin is reserved for superuser/root commands (hence the s), and even
only those who must be available during a singleuser mode, aka to repair
disks etc.
/usr/sbin is reserved for the rest of the root commands.
/usr/local/bin is for all third party software, so it belongs there...
Regards,
Ron.
Benoit point me this problem just after the commit. I've got some confusion
about bin and sbin. I've fixed it just few minute after and the (correct) fix
is done in svn 1421 and 1422 for gambas 2 & 3 respectivly.

Thanks for the report and the explanations !

++
M0E Lnx
Benoit Minisini
2008-06-26 00:04:20 UTC
Post by M0E Lnx
How about making make install support the DESTDIR argument?
It should not be too complex to implement...
Benoit Minisini
Laurent Carlier
2008-06-26 09:24:45 UTC
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by M0E Lnx
How about making make install support the DESTDIR argument?
It should not be too complex to implement...
This one ? http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/DESTDIR.html

Doesn't seem to be hard for executable. The question is for component ?

++
--
Feel the power of a free Basic at
http://gambas.sourceforge.net

... And have fun !
Laurent Carlier
2008-06-26 09:39:25 UTC
Post by Laurent Carlier
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by M0E Lnx
How about making make install support the DESTDIR argument?
It should not be too complex to implement...
This one ? http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/DESTDIR.html
Doesn't seem to be hard for executable. The question is for component ?
++
Done in commit #1434 and #1435 for gambas 2 & 3

... And have fun !
Benoit Minisini
2008-06-26 09:40:23 UTC
Post by Laurent Carlier
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by M0E Lnx
How about making make install support the DESTDIR argument?
It should not be too complex to implement...
This one ? http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/DESTDIR.html
Yeah. It is used in Gambas Makefiles too (look in the component.am file for
example).
Post by Laurent Carlier
Doesn't seem to be hard for executable. The question is for component ?
++
Is there a problem with components?
Benoit Minisini
Laurent Carlier
2008-06-26 10:37:55 UTC
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Laurent Carlier
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by M0E Lnx
How about making make install support the DESTDIR argument?
It should not be too complex to implement...
This one ? http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/DESTDIR.html
Yeah. It is used in Gambas Makefiles too (look in the component.am file for
example).
Thks, i've check it and i guess i've done it in the right way \o/
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Laurent Carlier
Doesn't seem to be hard for executable. The question is for component ?
++
Is there a problem with components?
If a component is installed in a non common place (with DESTDIR), how a gambas
executable know how to use it ? (it seem not to be the first use of DESTDIR
though).

... And have fun !
Benoit Minisini
2008-06-26 10:42:33 UTC
Post by Laurent Carlier
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Laurent Carlier
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Laurent Carlier
Doesn't seem to be hard for executable. The question is for component ?
++
Is there a problem with components?
If a component is installed in a non common place (with DESTDIR), how a
gambas executable know how to use it ? (it seem not to be the first use of
DESTDIR though).
The goal of DESTDIR is not installing in a different place. You use it for
packaging, or just to see what happens when I install the software.

Benoit Minisini
M0E Lnx
2008-06-26 15:47:49 UTC
Benoit is correct, what I'm looking for is a way of intalling to an
alternate location

For instance, when make install is ran, I want to say
make install DESTDIR=$PWD/PKG
The result of this would be a new tree crated in $PWD/PKG that mirrors
what would have been created in / at install

We use this for packaging applications.