Compiling Gambas 1.9.26
Leonardo Miliani
2006-03-19 15:25:54 UTC
I would return on Gambas 1.9.26 and compiling problems.
I've read that it could depend on gcc: for gambas 1.9.26 we must use gcc
=4.x but I have Suse 9.3 which has by default gcc v. 3.3
When I launch configure it tells me that it cannot compile module
gb.db.firebird and when I launch make it stops after a few seconds:
make all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory
`/home/leo/Documenti/Software/Programmazione/Gambas2b/1.9.26b/gambas2-1.9.26'
Making all in main
make[2]: Entering directory
`/home/leo/Documenti/Software/Programmazione/Gambas2b/1.9.26b/gambas2-1.9.26/main'
make all-recursive
make[3]: Entering directory
`/home/leo/Documenti/Software/Programmazione/Gambas2b/1.9.26b/gambas2-1.9.26/main'
Making all in libltdl
make[4]: Entering directory
`/home/leo/Documenti/Software/Programmazione/Gambas2b/1.9.26b/gambas2-1.9.26/main/libltdl'
make all-am
make[5]: Entering directory
`/home/leo/Documenti/Software/Programmazione/Gambas2b/1.9.26b/gambas2-1.9.26/main/libltdl'
/bin/sh ./libtool --tag=CC --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.
-I. -g -O2 -c -o ltdl.lo ltdl.c
mkdir .libs
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -g -O2 -c ltdl.c -fPIC -DPIC -o
.libs/ltdl.o
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -g -O2 -c ltdl.c -o ltdl.o >/dev/null 2>&1
/bin/sh ./libtool --tag=CC --mode=link gcc -g -O2 -o libltdlc.la
ltdl.lo -ldl
ar cru .libs/libltdlc.a .libs/ltdl.o
ranlib .libs/libltdlc.a
creating libltdlc.la
(cd .libs && rm -f libltdlc.la && ln -s ../libltdlc.la libltdlc.la)
make[5]: Leaving directory
`/home/leo/Documenti/Software/Programmazione/Gambas2b/1.9.26b/gambas2-1.9.26/main/libltdl'
make[4]: Leaving directory
`/home/leo/Documenti/Software/Programmazione/Gambas2b/1.9.26b/gambas2-1.9.26/main/libltdl'
Making all in gbx
make[4]: Entering directory
`/home/leo/Documenti/Software/Programmazione/Gambas2b/1.9.26b/gambas2-1.9.26/main/gbx'
if /bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CC --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.
-I. -I.. -I../share -I/usr/local/include/ -I../libltdl -DGBX_INFO
-pipe -Wall -fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-unused-value -fvisibility=hidden
-g -Os -O0 -MT gb_la-gbx_c_class.lo -MD -MP -MF
".deps/gb_la-gbx_c_class.Tpo" -c -o gb_la-gbx_c_class.lo `test -f
'gbx_c_class.c' || echo './'`gbx_c_class.c; \
then mv -f ".deps/gb_la-gbx_c_class.Tpo" ".deps/gb_la-gbx_c_class.Plo";
else rm -f ".deps/gb_la-gbx_c_class.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
mkdir .libs
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I../share -I/usr/local/include/
-I../libltdl -DGBX_INFO -pipe -Wall -fno-strict-aliasing
-Wno-unused-value -fvisibility=hidden -g -Os -O0 -MT
gb_la-gbx_c_class.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/gb_la-gbx_c_class.Tpo -c
gbx_c_class.c -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/gb_la-gbx_c_class.o
cc1: error: unrecognized option `-fvisibility=hidden'
make[4]: *** [gb_la-gbx_c_class.lo] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory
`/home/leo/Documenti/Software/Programmazione/Gambas2b/1.9.26b/gambas2-1.9.26/main/gbx'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/home/leo/Documenti/Software/Programmazione/Gambas2b/1.9.26b/gambas2-1.9.26/main'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/leo/Documenti/Software/Programmazione/Gambas2b/1.9.26b/gambas2-1.9.26/main'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/leo/Documenti/Software/Programmazione/Gambas2b/1.9.26b/gambas2-1.9.26'
make: *** [all] Error 2
lines 194&195 of file acinclude.m4 but I didn't solve: I got same
problems listed abowe...
Could someone help me? :-(
--
Ciao.
Leo

Visita il mio sito personale: www.leonardomiliani.com
e-mail: ***@leonardomiliani.com
ron
2006-03-19 17:29:52 UTC
Post by Leonardo Miliani
So, I tried the "escamotage" that I read in this mailing list: delete
lines 194&195 of file acinclude.m4 but I didn't solve: I got same
problems listed abowe...
You have to do it also in 27 'configure' files in the sub directories
I found them with a find util, search for '-fvisibility'.

After changing those files also it did compile with gcc 3.3/3.4 on suse 9.2
suse 9.3 is not to different for the gambas related things.

Be sure you have the -devel files for firebird to( if they exist).

Ron
Christopher Brian Jack
2006-03-20 06:48:55 UTC
Post by ron
You have to do it also in 27 'configure' files in the sub directories
I found them with a find util, search for '-fvisibility'.
This also should identify the problem files (and the offending line in
each offending file):

tar jxvf gambas-1.9.26.tar.bz2
cd gambas-1.9.26
grep -r -i "[-]fvisibility" * >files_to_change

.=================================================.
| Christopher BRIAN Jack aka "Gau of the Veldt" |
+================================================='
`=================================================-
Hi Spambots, my email address is ***@brians-anime.com
Christopher Brian Jack
2006-03-20 07:01:26 UTC
Post by Christopher Brian Jack
tar jxvf gambas-1.9.26.tar.bz2
cd gambas-1.9.26
grep -r -i "[-]fvisibility" * >files_to_change
Here's another one if you use bash and have sed:

for each in `grep -l -r -i "[-]fvisibility"`; do echo ${i}; cat "${i}" |
sed -e "s/-fvisibility//g" >.fvisibility; mv "$i" "${i}_bak"; mv
.fvisibility "$i"; done

.=================================================.
Christopher Brian Jack
2006-03-20 07:04:16 UTC
Post by Christopher Brian Jack
for each in `grep -l -r -i "[-]fvisibility"`; do echo ${i}; cat "${i}" |
sed -e "s/-fvisibility//g" >.fvisibility; mv "$i" "${i}_bak"; mv
.fvisibility "$i"; done
for i in ... done

.=================================================.
ron
2006-03-20 07:26:25 UTC
Post by Christopher Brian Jack
for i in ... done
Yes, instead 'each' use the 'i', understand.
Was a bit courious where the i was set.
Or 'for i in (`grep....`) ; do ?

wel I do have a good hint now and can get it working :)

----
Ron

BTW: How can i get help from the man pages about bash
I mean selective for the embedded FOR, DO, WHILE, IF etc , without
skipping many lines to find it in the looooong list?
Want a simple html based manual i it exists.
Bertrand-Xavier M.

Christopher Brian Jack
2006-03-20 08:20:47 UTC
Post by ron
BTW: How can i get help from the man pages about bash
I mean selective for the embedded FOR, DO, WHILE, IF etc , without
skipping many lines to find it in the looooong list?
Want a simple html based manual i it exists.
If you have less use the / command to enter a search pattern. It's
actually a regular expression but works as expected for alphabetic text
such as the name of a keyword. The keywords are in uppercase in the man
page for bash and the / command is case-sensitive so enter the keyword
queries in uppercase. Hit enter after typing the search pattern to do the
search. All occurrences will be highlighted.

.=================================================.
ron
2006-03-20 08:36:23 UTC
If you have less use the / command to enter a search pattern.  It's
actually a regular expression but works as expected for alphabetic text
such as the name of a keyword.  The keywords are in uppercase in the man
page for bash and the / command is case-sensitive so enter the keyword
queries in uppercase.  Hit enter after typing the search pattern to do the
search.  All occurrences will be highlighted.
Thanks, that helps a lot.
less is indeed used as pager for man.

Just found also the 'h' key gives help. Never to old to learn.
It's bit difficult to do 'man less' during a 'man bash' to get it :)

Ron
ron
2006-03-20 08:20:19 UTC
Post by Bertrand-Xavier M.
I hope everyone shows raw HTML. Vista img src well tried.
Vista? I have gnu/linux :)
Do not understan what you mean here
Post by Bertrand-Xavier M.
Ron: between lines 200 and 380. Page Down is the only way, isn't it?
Where are those lines?
Do not understan what you mean here to
Ron
Rob Kudla
2006-03-20 16:30:47 UTC
Post by ron
Post by Bertrand-Xavier M.
I hope everyone shows raw HTML. Vista img src well tried.
Vista? I have gnu/linux :)
Do not understan what you mean here
He meant "Visa". A phisher posted a Visa.com phishing attempt to
the gambas-devel list (in Italian) and I guess Bertrand replied
to this thread to warn people.

The fact that the phishing email got through is worrisome to me.

Rob
Christopher Brian Jack
2006-03-20 20:49:47 UTC
Post by Rob Kudla
The fact that the phishing email got through is worrisome to me.
Rob
I hate these things. Not only are they extreme privacy risks (I don't
even want to count how many people have been taken by these kinds of
emails--if they weren't these wouldn't be so prevalent in spamboxes) but
they are also occasionally spread by worm-infested computer systems.

If it wasn't a member's computer system betraying them with unwanted
malware and some other unsubscribed indeed placed the spam then that would
be of even more concern.

.=================================================.
Llew Ashdown

Llew Ashdown
ron
2006-03-20 07:13:21 UTC
Post by Christopher Brian Jack
for each in `grep -l -r -i "[-]fvisibility"`; do echo ${i}; cat "${i}" |
sed -e "s/-fvisibility//g" >.fvisibility; mv "$i" "${i}_bak"; mv
.fvisibility "$i"; done
Thanks, that is just what I wanted, look for every command
in the man pages and the try and error cost me more time
as using mc -> find files and them the F4 (edit).
Now I can do it with a script when needed.

---
Ron
Christopher Brian Jack
2006-03-20 08:28:51 UTC
Post by ron
Post by Christopher Brian Jack
for each in `grep -l -r -i "[-]fvisibility"`; do echo ${i}; cat "${i}" |
sed -e "s/-fvisibility//g" >.fvisibility; mv "$i" "${i}_bak"; mv
.fvisibility "$i"; done
Thanks, that is just what I wanted, look for every command
in the man pages and the try and error cost me more time
as using mc -> find files and them the F4 (edit).
Now I can do it with a script when needed.
I use grep, sed and shell scripts quite frequently so the hardest part for
me was up the switches to grep so it returns only the list of files.

And yes i was supposed to be the loop variable in the for rather than
each. The correct script is thus:

for i in `grep -l -r -i "[-]fvisibility"`; do

ron
2006-03-20 08:42:10 UTC
Post by Christopher Brian Jack
I use grep, sed and shell scripts quite frequently so the hardest part for
me was up the switches to grep so it returns only the list of files.
That is what I should do also more, however the switches is my problem to.
In gnu/linux we get over 200 shell programs and each of them have
much more switches as the alien OS.
And the best of it those programs are more powerfull as the other redmond OS. :)

Ron
ron
2006-03-19 17:32:28 UTC
Post by Leonardo Miliani
So, I tried the "escamotage" that I read in this mailing list: delete
lines 194&195 of file acinclude.m4 but I didn't solve: I got same
problems listed abowe...
Forgot something.

You must do it on a fresh unpacked source tarball!!!!
This ia called play-safe :)

'./reconf-all' and again './configure' just seams not to work 100%.

Ron
Benoit Minisini
2006-03-19 17:48:44 UTC
Post by ron
Post by Leonardo Miliani
So, I tried the "escamotage" that I read in this mailing list: delete
lines 194&195 of file acinclude.m4 but I didn't solve: I got same
problems listed abowe...
Forgot something.
You must do it on a fresh unpacked source tarball!!!!
This ia called play-safe :)
'./reconf-all' and again './configure' just seams not to work 100%.
Ron
You have to modify the 'acinclude.m4' file located in the root source
directory, and then do a './reconf-all; ./configure -C'.

'autmake' must be installed.

This should work, or there is a bug in the configuration scripts!

Benoit Minisini
Leonardo Miliani
2006-03-19 18:48:49 UTC
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by ron
Post by Leonardo Miliani
So, I tried the "escamotage" that I read in this mailing list: delete
lines 194&195 of file acinclude.m4 but I didn't solve: I got same
problems listed abowe...
Forgot something.
You must do it on a fresh unpacked source tarball!!!!
This ia called play-safe :)
'./reconf-all' and again './configure' just seams not to work 100%.
Ron
You have to modify the 'acinclude.m4' file located in the root source
directory, and then do a './reconf-all; ./configure -C'.
'autmake' must be installed.
This should work, or there is a bug in the configuration scripts!
Regards,
Thanks a lot.
I was able to compile gambas 1.9.26 following your suggestions but I
also would like to know how I can compile firebird module.
I downloaded and installed FirebirdCS-1.5.3.4870-0, got from
firebird.sourceforge.net, but gambas compiler still continues to don't
see the firebird driver.

e-mail: ***@leonardomiliani.com
Benoit Minisini
2006-03-19 19:02:34 UTC
Post by Leonardo Miliani
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by ron
Post by Leonardo Miliani
[...]
Please read the README file in the 'gb.db.firebird' directory. You have to
compile and install libibpp on your system.

Benoit Minisini
ron
2006-03-20 04:04:21 UTC
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by ron
Post by Leonardo Miliani
So, I tried the "escamotage" that I read in this mailing list: delete
lines 194&195 of file acinclude.m4 but I didn't solve: I got same
problems listed abowe...
Forgot something.
You must do it on a fresh unpacked source tarball!!!!
This ia called play-safe :)
'./reconf-all' and again './configure' just seams not to work 100%.
Ron
You have to modify the 'acinclude.m4' file located in the root source
directory, and then do a './reconf-all; ./configure -C'.
'autmake' must be installed.
This should work, or there is a bug in the configuration scripts!
Regards,
Ok just test it.

Unpak the source tarbal to /home/ron/src/gambas2-1.9.26
Removed the -fvisibility at line 194 and 195
./reconf-all

got some warnings for lqt.m4, <- I may forget this, not problem of gambas.
but it ends with:
./reconf-all: line 8: /home/ron/gambas/2.0/tool/MakeComponentLink/MakeComponentLink.gambas: No such file or directory
***@terminator:/home/ron/src/gambas2-1.9.26>

now I do ./configure -C

Result:

THESE COMPONENTS ARE DISABLED:

- gb.corba
- gb.db.firebird
- gb.db.odbc
- gb.db.postgresql
- gb.db.sqlite
- gb.ldap

***@terminator:/home/ron/src/gambas2-1.9.26>
./gb.corba/
configure 4599 4600
config.log config.status
Makefile 81 82
./gb.corba/src/
Makefile 97 98

Well in most ./gb.* I found in configure and now also in the Makefile
the -fvisibility flag

AM_CFLAGS = -pipe -Wall -fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-unused-value -fvisibility=hidden -g
-Os
AM_CXXFLAGS = -pipe -Wall -fno-exceptions -Wno-unused-value -fvisibility=hidden -g -O
s -fno-omit-frame-pointer

The previous time I changed it at line 194/195 in aminclude.m4 I found the flag
only in the configure files and now also in Makefile files.

the option -C for configure was at that time unknown.
Now it looks worse with it.

In acinclude.m4
AM_CONDITIONAL(OPTIMIZE, test "$gambas_optimization" = yes)

AM_CFLAGS="$AM_CFLAGS -pipe -Wall -fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-unused-value"
AM_CXXFLAGS="$AM_CXXFLAGS -pipe -Wall -fno-exceptions -Wno-unused-value"

if test "$gambas_debug" = "yes"; then

I the now working version I do NOT have the -fvisibility=hidden in the configure
files and they did not apear in the Makefile.
This was just unpak, remove in acinclude and as far I know the where not in the
configure or I removed them there also.
All new source tarbals I get now do have them in the configure to.

For the version Laurent Carlier made:
Find for -visibility:
In the acinclude and also in the configure files.
However he made major addition arround it for checking.
I just unpacked the tarbal and after the find type:
./configure

It ends with
checking for MySQL driver headers... /usr/include/mysql/
checking for MySQL driver libraries... /usr/lib/
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: error: cannot find input file: src/Makefile.in
configure: error: /bin/sh './configure' failed for gb.db.mysql
***@terminator:~/src/gambas2-1.9.26>

Check in the tarbal and missing several src directories.
This does not work.

***@terminator:/usr/bin> aclocal --version
aclocal (GNU automake) 1.9.5
***@terminator:/usr/bin> automake --version
automake (GNU automake) 1.9.5
***@terminator:/usr/bin> gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.3.4 (pre 3.3.5 20040809)
***@terminator:/usr/bin> uname -a
Linux terminator 2.6.8-24.19-default #1 Tue Nov 29 14:32:45 UTC 2005
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux Suse 9.2

At this moment the only way is unpack the file from SF and remove in all
files the -fvisibility by hand and do only ./configure; make; make install

Sorry but I have no better idea

---
Ron