Some usage questions
Laurent Duperval
2005-01-22 15:57:35 UTC
Hello,

I'm a new Gambas user and these are my first impressions. There are
certain things that I don't know how to do and I'd like a bit of help.
Some may be impossible right now, so you can take the questions as
suggestions instead.

- How do you group elements? For example, I want many of my
label/entry combinations to be considered as a single item. I can't
figure out how to do this.

- How do I distribute items that are grouped together? For example, if
I select four buttons and align them in a row, how do I get them to be
evenly spaced horizontally?

- How do I insert multiple widgets of the same kind without clicking
on the toolbox between each insertion? For example, I want to insert
12 check boxes. How do I do that?

Thanks,

Laurent Duperval

suggestions instead.
Maurice Dumais
2005-01-24 15:24:43 UTC
Laurent Duperval wrote:
"How do I insert multiple widgets of the same kind...."

To do so:
- Insert, in the usual way, ont widget in your container (Container can
be a form, a panel, a frame...etc.)
- Right-click on it, from the pop-up menu, click on 'Copy'.
- Then somewhere within the container, right-click again and click on
'Paste'. The new object will appear in the upper left corner of the
container.
- Drag it where needed in the container and right-click for other ones
in the same way (this time, using paste only).

Regards
M. Dumais
Laurent Duperval
2005-01-24 17:16:17 UTC
Post by Maurice Dumais
- Insert, in the usual way, ont widget in your container (Container can
be a form, a panel, a frame...etc.)
- Right-click on it, from the pop-up menu, click on 'Copy'.
That's what I ended up doing. I thought there would be another way. I
know that (some) other tools allow you to Ctrl-Click or Shit-Click a
widget and you can then insert as many as you need.

Thanks,

Charlie Reinl
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Post by Laurent Duperval
Post by Maurice Dumais
be a form, a panel, a frame...etc.)
- Right-click on it, from the pop-up menu, click on 'Copy'.
That's what I ended up doing. I thought there would be another way. I
know that (some) other tools allow you to Ctrl-Click or Shit-Click a
widget and you can then insert as many as you need.
Thanks,
Salut,

how do you 'Shit-Click' ??

;-)

Amicalment
Charlie
* Gesendet mit / Sent by: FEN-Webmail * http://www.fen-net.de *
Laurent Duperval
2005-01-25 03:04:02 UTC
Post by Charlie Reinl
Salut,
how do you 'Shit-Click' ??
;-)
Ooops.... :-)

Dave sharples
2005-01-25 08:47:51 UTC
Post by Charlie Reinl
Salut,
how do you 'Shit-Click' ??
;-)
Use Microsoft Windows
LOL
Benoit Minisini
2005-02-01 11:04:14 UTC
Post by Laurent Duperval
Hello,
Hello,
Post by Laurent Duperval
I'm a new Gambas user and these are my first impressions. There are
certain things that I don't know how to do and I'd like a bit of help.
Some may be impossible right now, so you can take the questions as
suggestions instead.
- How do you group elements? For example, I want many of my
label/entry combinations to be considered as a single item. I can't
figure out how to do this.
Could you be more precise ?
Post by Laurent Duperval
- How do I distribute items that are grouped together? For example, if
I select four buttons and align them in a row, how do I get them to be
evenly spaced horizontally?
It is not possible yet.
Post by Laurent Duperval
- How do I insert multiple widgets of the same kind without clicking
on the toolbox between each insertion? For example, I want to insert
12 check boxes. How do I do that?
You can paste (CTRL-V) many times. But can you be more precise on what you
want to do exactly ?
Post by Laurent Duperval
Thanks,
Benoit Minisini
mailto:***@users.sourceforge.net
Laurent Duperval
2005-02-01 14:37:32 UTC
On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 12:04:14 +0100, Benoit Minisini
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Laurent Duperval
- How do you group elements? For example, I want many of my
label/entry combinations to be considered as a single item. I can't
figure out how to do this.
Could you be more precise ?
Sure. Say I want a label with an entry to be a "group". For example:

Name: _____________________

Above, there are two elements but I want to treat them as one. That
way, whether I click on the label or on the entry, when I drag, both
are moved. In drawing packages, this is called grouping.
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Laurent Duperval
- How do I distribute items that are grouped together?
It is not possible yet.
Ok.
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Laurent Duperval
- How do I insert multiple widgets of the same kind without clicking
on the toolbox between each insertion?
You can paste (CTRL-V) many times. But can you be more precise on what you
want to do exactly ?
Sure. I want to, for example, double-click on the Button tool. Then I
want to click on the form and a button is inserted where I clicked.
Then I want to click elsewhere and another button is added there, etc.
until I'm down inserting buttons. Then I want to do the same for
labels or entries or whatever.

The problem with the cut'n'paste approach is that you constantly have
to go back to the upper left corner and drag your elements where you
want them.

Rob
2005-02-01 14:54:04 UTC
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Laurent Duperval
- How do you group elements? For example, I want many of my
label/entry combinations to be considered as a single item.
I can't figure out how to do this.
Could you be more precise ?
I think he's referring to the Access feature (maybe VB has it
too) where labels can have controls as parents, but rather than
appearing inside the control, the label's coordinates are
treated as relative to the control. Then when you move the
textbox, the corresponding label moves with it.

e.g.

Name is a child control of the textbox, but is drawn alongside
it. I wouldn't know how to do this in Qt.

Rob