[Gambas-user] Gambas as firefox plugin !!!
Demosthenes Koptsis
2009-11-23 20:36:35 UTC
Hi i have an idea but u will tell me if it is good or not.

I saw the latest Quake game, named quake live
http://www.quakelive.com/

The game is based on a firefox plugin and i wonder if Gambas
applications can be run in a Gambas firefox plugin?

Is this idea good?
If there is a Gambas web browser plugin then the Gambas will be the
first Basic language that can be run everywhere due to browser
(firefox) and will have not limited only to Linux.

Also this means that programmers can write easy known Basic
applications that can be run in any hardware that runs a browser (any
device from cell phone to pc).

The hard work is to create such a Gambas (Basic) plugin for browsers.

So tell is it a good idea?
Is it possible something like that?
--
Γεια χαρα σε όλους!!!

Regards,

Demosthenes Koptsis
Fabien Bodard
Vackoy
2009-11-23 22:07:41 UTC
I think is an excellent idea but i don't know if it is possible.

Sorry my ignorance but what is an ecma-script code??

Marcel
Rob
2009-11-23 22:19:44 UTC
Post by Vackoy
I think is an excellent idea but i don't know if it is possible.
Sorry my ignorance but what is an ecma-script code??
ECMAscript is the language used in web browsers as "Javascript" and in
Flash applets as "Actionscript".

I don't really think crosscompiling Gambas code to Javascript makes any
more sense than crosscompiling Gambas code to Java.

Rob
José Luis Redrejo Rodríguez
2009-11-24 16:23:43 UTC
Post by Rob
Post by Vackoy
I think is an excellent idea but i don't know if it is possible.
Sorry my ignorance but what is an ecma-script code??
ECMAscript is the language used in web browsers as "Javascript" and in
Flash applets as "Actionscript".
I don't really think crosscompiling Gambas code to Javascript makes any
more sense than crosscompiling Gambas code to Java.
Rob
Hi Rob, there's a big difference, crosscompiling Gambas code to Javascript
will allow you programming in Gambas and running your applications in any
modern browser, without the overload of Java.
That's the idea behind of GWT [1] or Pyjama [2], and I can assure you that
both are good project, and GWT is very succesfully and is making me thinking
of migrate some of my gambas applications to a web interface, even if I have
to use Java (which I wouldn't say it's a language I love) to do the user
frontend.
More and more, everyday, users love the web interface, even if the
application is not a real web interface. I.E: a small daemon running python
with the twisted framework providing the user interface in javascript in the
browser is prefered to a real desktop application. At least in the schools
world where I spend most of my time.
Regards.
José L.

[1] http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/
[2] http://pyjs.org/
Rob
2009-11-24 18:26:01 UTC
Post by José Luis Redrejo Rodríguez
That's the idea behind of GWT [1] or Pyjama [2], and I can assure you
that both are good project, and GWT is very succesfully and is making
me thinking of migrate some of my gambas applications to a web
interface, even if I have to use Java (which I wouldn't say it's a
language I love) to do the user frontend.
I did write a script in 2004 to generate DHTML widgets out of Gambas 1.0
forms (HTML + Javascript + CSS + some perl CGI code -- the term "Ajax"
hadn't been coined yet), but simply taking desktop apps and throwing them
on a web page really didn't work that well as a user interface paradigm.
But I forgot about GWT. I should have a look at the code it generates to
see how awful it is, but it's still strange to me to think of a high-level
interpreted language as a compilation target.

Rob
José Luis Redrejo
2009-11-24 16:28:21 UTC
Post by Rob
Post by Vackoy
I think is an excellent idea but i don't know if it is possible.
Sorry my ignorance but what is an ecma-script code??
ECMAscript is the language used in web browsers as "Javascript" and in
Flash applets as "Actionscript".
I don't really think crosscompiling Gambas code to Javascript makes any
more sense than crosscompiling Gambas code to Java.
Rob
Hi Rob, there's a big difference: crosscompiling Gambas code to Javascript
will allow you programming in Gambas and running your applications in any
modern browser, without the overload of Java.
That's the idea behind of GWT [1] or Pyjama [2], and I can assure you that
both are good projects, and GWT is very succesfully and is making me

<http://pyjs.org/>
n***@gmail.com
2009-11-23 22:06:00 UTC
Post by Demosthenes Koptsis
Hi i have an idea but u will tell me if it is good or not.
I saw the latest Quake game, named quake live
http://www.quakelive.com/
The game is based on a firefox plugin and i wonder if Gambas
applications can be run in a Gambas firefox plugin?
Is this idea good?
My opinion is that it is a terrible idea. For starters, how do you plan to
install the runtime libraries, using sudo apt-get or distribute the
libraries as as part of the plugin? And once you've decided that, how many
hours will users on slow connections have to wait while umpteen megabytes of
support libraries are downloaded and installed?
Post by Demosthenes Koptsis
If there is a Gambas web browser plugin then the Gambas will be the
first Basic language that can be run everywhere due to browser
(firefox) and will have not limited only to Linux.
Really? So you plan to run a Google-sized freenx server farm for Windows
users then?
Post by Demosthenes Koptsis
Also this means that programmers can write easy known Basic
applications that can be run in any hardware that runs a browser (any
device from cell phone to pc).
The hard work is to create such a Gambas (Basic) plugin for browsers.
No. The hard work is going to be convincing you that it simply is not going
to work. At all.
Post by Demosthenes Koptsis
So tell is it a good idea?
No, it is not a good idea.
How much money have you got to spare?
Rob
2009-11-24 01:33:58 UTC
n***@gmail.com
2009-11-24 03:14:32 UTC
Post by Rob
Gambas as a plugin would have to include the barest minimum of
components
The runtime counts as "umpteen megabytes of support libraries."
Post by Rob
Still, that is possible.
I didn't say it wasn't possible. I did imply it would be a time/money
expensive endeavour.
Post by Rob
While I disagree with Mr. Nameless Angry Guy
Hey, I'm not angry. I'm to the point. You know, succinct, concise? Big
difference there, Rob.

Plus opinion was requested. Opinions do not need to have any basis in fact
whatsoever.
Post by Rob
That said,
There was a lot of it said, hey. I prefer to get to the point but, when I do
that, some people infer angry emotions that aren't there.
Post by Rob
I did start playing around
So did I but my wife caught me.
Rob
2009-11-24 05:37:05 UTC
I do that, some people infer angry emotions that aren't there.
Just because you're denying them doesn't mean they're not there. I wish
you the best of luck with your healing process, at such time as you choose
to embark upon it.

Rob
n***@gmail.com

<cue tune to Twilight Zone>
Steven revimmo
2009-11-24 09:07:23 UTC

I think it would be the best thing ever.
I did a lot of gambas development for one of my companies.
The problem came with installation. We have sites all over France and
all kinds of systems
(Linux, Max, Windoze, ... whatever)

I just could not maintain all that, it was to much work, to much
traveling.

So, I switched to eyeOS ( http://www.eyeos.org ). A cloud system that
works very nice.
It's true, the only thing really in common on all the user systems is a
browser, and I think
IE and Firefox are compatible enough to make things running smoothly.

In eyeOS, the server-side is completely done in PHP, which is a nice
language.
It would, however be great to be able to use gambas there.

This means that the widgets they made (eyeOS team) should communicate
with gambas in
stead of php. That would not be very hard to do, I think.
However, the widgets they have now, do not have to do much with the
quality of f.i. Qt widgets.
As an example : The combo box only allows a list of items to choose
from, not to enter
new items. The grid-control is really really extremely basic.

But it should be possible to improve that easy (if you know javascript /
ecma ) well.
F.i. the widgets of http://www.tecnick.com are a LOT better, I don't
know there policy, but
if one could use them, writing the gambas part would be a piece of
cake !

So, for me it boils down to a question of widgets, a surmountable
problem, that would give us
an excellent platform with gambas to make cloud applications !

Steven
ps: and you would not need any 'plugins' for Firefox, Ie or any other
browser.
Fabien Bodard
2009-11-24 10:04:11 UTC
the google team idea seem to be the same ... cloud systems ... that's
why gambas need to be a server side language that have some componants
to design java/css2 widgets... for broswer interfaces... That's the
idea of Benoit too i think...
Hi,
2009-11-24 10:57:04 UTC
Post by Steven revimmo
So, for me it boils down to a question of widgets, a surmountable
problem,
You don't read much of what Benoit has to say? Nor do you know much about
Microsoft?

They are questions, not assertions.
Post by Steven revimmo
that would give us
an excellent platform with gambas to make cloud applications !
The "cloud" is a buzzword for storing your very private super sekrit stuff,
such as pictures of your nekkid lover where your wife can't find them, on a
server that offers no guarantee of any privacy whatosever, let alone any
availability. Perhaps you are recently new to the world of computing?
Post by Steven revimmo
Steven
ps: and you would not need any 'plugins' for Firefox, Ie or any other
browser.
You assume that MS would convert windows to widgets?

And kill their own monoply by their own free choice.

Are you aware that even such a lowly entity as a label is a window in
Windows?

Perhaps not.
Steven revimmo
2009-11-24 14:16:55 UTC
You are a funny guy ;-)
Post by n***@gmail.com
Post by Steven revimmo
So, for me it boils down to a question of widgets, a surmountable
problem,
You don't read much of what Benoit has to say? Nor do you know much about
Microsoft?
I do read what Benoit has to say, it's much more interesting as your
post, but not so funny.
Post by Steven revimmo
that would give us
an excellent platform with gambas to make cloud applications !
The "cloud" is a buzzword for storing your very private super sekrit stuff,
such as pictures of your nekkid lover where your wife can't find them, on a
server that offers no guarantee of any privacy whatosever, let alone any
availability. Perhaps you are recently new to the world of computing?
Are you aware that there are also 'cloud' applications that don't run
with Google, you can run them
on your own server (like eyeOS) so your problem only exists if you limit
the sky to Google.
Post by n***@gmail.com
Post by Steven revimmo
Steven
ps: and you would not need any 'plugins' for Firefox, Ie or any other
browser.
You assume that MS would convert windows to widgets?
No, not MS, and yes... I'm aware that everything is a window in the
ms-world, so what ?
That is just a question of terminology.
Post by n***@gmail.com
And kill their own monoply by their own free choice.
Are you aware that even such a lowly entity as a label is a window in
Windows?
Perhaps not.
Perhaps I might suggest you take a look at eyeOS, learn a bit, and then
report back here.
If you don't I might be even happier.

Steven
2009-11-25 04:52:48 UTC
Post by Steven revimmo
You are a funny guy ;-)
I do read what Benoit has to say, it's much more interesting as your
post, but not so funny.
I'm glad I made you smile.
Post by Steven revimmo
that would give us
an excellent platform with gambas to make cloud applications !
The "cloud" is a buzzword for storing your very private super sekrit
stuff, such as pictures of your nekkid lover where your wife can't
find them, on a server that offers no guarantee of any privacy
whatosever, let alone any availability. Perhaps you are recently new
to the world of computing?
Are you aware that there are also 'cloud' applications that don't run
with Google, you can run them
on your own server (like eyeOS) so your problem only exists if you limit
the sky to Google.
Yes.
Post by Steven revimmo
Post by n***@gmail.com
Post by Steven revimmo
Steven
ps: and you would not need any 'plugins' for Firefox, Ie or any
other browser.
You assume that MS would convert windows to widgets?
No, not MS, and yes... I'm aware that everything is a window in the
ms-world, so what ?
That is just a question of terminology.
Being new to Linux I don't know enough about widgets to honestly answer.
Post by Steven revimmo
Post by n***@gmail.com
And kill their own monoply by their own free choice.
Are you aware that even such a lowly entity as a label is a window in
Windows?
Perhaps not.
Perhaps I might suggest you take a look at eyeOS, learn a bit, and
then report back here.
If you don't I might be even happier.
Yes, I took a look at it the other day. I don't think I'd ever be
comfortable with the idea that the whole system lives in a web browser.
Crikey, Internet Exploder is a web browser!
Fabien Bodard
2009-11-25 18:09:41 UTC