Newbies Package Creation Problem
Technoferret
2004-09-01 08:33:28 UTC
Hi All,

Although not new to Linux I am new to Gambas.

To get used to gambas I have created a small app that works correctly
but have run into a problem when trying to create the installation
package.

I can sucessfully create a package for Redhat but when I try and create
a Debian package the creation fails.
This is the output I get :-
<output>
Creating package for Debian.
Creating source package.
Creating .spec file.
Creating RPM packages.
The package build has failed.

Cannot load class 'ProjectQuote': Unable to load class file
</output>

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is and what is missing?

For reference I am using version 0.98a which I compiled from source on
Xandros 2.0 (based on debian sarge).

Also, is there a way to make a package that contains all the runtime
components and thus removing the need to separately install them as
dependencies?

Cheers
Dave
PS First impressions of Gambas are that it is one hell of a good
program.
--
"All electronic components have smoke inside them, once this is released
they will cease to function."
Rob
2004-09-01 12:31:14 UTC
Post by Technoferret
Cannot load class 'ProjectQuote': Unable to load class file
</output>
Does anyone have any idea what the problem is and what is
missing?
I assume that ProjectQuote is the name of your own project? My
immediate guess would have been that it was looking for rpmbuild
and choked in its absence (being that you're on Debian.)
Post by Technoferret
Also, is there a way to make a package that contains all the
runtime components and thus removing the need to separately
install them as dependencies?
Yep.

http://www.kudla.org/index.php?wl_mode=more&wl_eid=61

I assume the same can be done with a .deb, but the way I made
those packages was to install all the gambas packages, and my
spec file in that src.rpm finds all the files that belong to all
the packages and copies them into the RPM build tree.

Rob
Technoferret
2004-09-01 14:09:03 UTC
Post by Rob
I assume that ProjectQuote is the name of your own project? My
immediate guess would have been that it was looking for rpmbuild
and choked in its absence (being that you're on Debian.)
ProjectQuote is nothing to do with my project which uninspiringly is
called 'Test'

rpmbuild must be present because I can build Redhat rpm's and also just
before the Debian build process bombs out it creates both a source and
binary rpm, I have come to the conclusion it must be something to do
with creating the .deb (or converting the rpm's to a .deb).
Post by Rob
Post by Technoferret
Also, is there a way to make a package that contains all the
runtime components and thus removing the need to separately
install them as dependencies?
Yep.
http://www.kudla.org/index.php?wl_mode=more&wl_eid=61
I assume the same can be done with a .deb, but the way I made
those packages was to install all the gambas packages, and my
spec file in that src.rpm finds all the files that belong to all
the packages and copies them into the RPM build tree.
Cheers for that I'll check it out.

Dave
--
"All electronic components have smoke inside them, once this is released
they will cease to function."
Rob
2004-09-01 14:34:14 UTC
Post by Technoferret
ProjectQuote is nothing to do with my project which
uninspiringly is called 'Test'
Congratulations, you found a bug in the IDE. A couple lines in
the Debian build process have "ProjectQuote" when it should be
"Project.Quote". Here is a fixed Package.module to extract into
your source tree. If you could see whether it fixes the problem
(after rebuilding the IDE) I'd appreciate it.

Rob
Rob
2004-09-01 14:49:19 UTC
And this time with the actual file.
Technoferret
2004-09-01 15:21:23 UTC
be "Project.Quote". Here is a fixed Package.module to extract
into your source tree. If you could see whether it fixes the
problem (after rebuilding the IDE) I'd appreciate it.
Rob,

I did the above and recompiled it,
I now get the error 'alien command has failed'

I do have alien installed
***@EvilWeasel:~$ whereis alien
alien: /usr/bin/alien /usr/share/alien /usr/share/man/man1/alien.1p.gz

any ideas

Dave
--
"All electronic components have smoke inside them, once this is released
they will cease to function."
Technoferret
2004-09-01 15:51:04 UTC
Post by Technoferret
I did the above and recompiled it,
I now get the error 'alien command has failed'
any ideas
Dave
I've had a poke around and I think I know what the problem is, but
haven't got a clue how to solve it.

If I've understood the source then

Package.Module calls alien to convert the noarch rpm to a deb
so
If I go to the noarch directory and try
'alien --to-deb -k <MyProjectsName>.noarch.rpm' I get the following
error message
'Must run as root to convert to deb format (or you may use fakeroot).'

I have fakeroot installed though I have to admit I've never used it,
Can Package.Module be changed to call alien using fakeroot?

Dave
--
"All electronic components have smoke inside them, once this is released
they will cease to function."
Rob
2004-09-01 16:02:20 UTC
Post by Technoferret
I did the above and recompiled it,
I now get the error 'alien command has failed'
I'd love to try to help you some more, but never having built
debian packages before, I'm afraid I'm in "alien" territory ;)
I don't even know the command syntax and it's not available
under mandrake unless I want to try to build it from scratch or
something.

Can any debian users help Technoferret debug this?

Rob
Technoferret
2004-09-01 15:02:24 UTC
Post by Rob
Congratulations, you found a bug in the IDE. A couple lines in
the Debian build process have "ProjectQuote" when it should be
"Project.Quote". Here is a fixed Package.module to extract into
your source tree. If you could see whether it fixes the problem
(after rebuilding the IDE) I'd appreciate it.
Rob
Rob,

I'd love to give it a try but nothing was attached.

Dave
--
"All electronic components have smoke inside them, once this is released
they will cease to function."
Benoit Minisini
2004-09-01 20:29:05 UTC
Post by Technoferret
Post by Rob
Congratulations, you found a bug in the IDE. A couple lines in
the Debian build process have "ProjectQuote" when it should be
"Project.Quote". Here is a fixed Package.module to extract into
your source tree. If you could see whether it fixes the problem
(after rebuilding the IDE) I'd appreciate it.
Rob
Rob,
I'd love to give it a try but nothing was attached.
Dave
I fixed the "ProjectQuote" bug.

As for the fakeroot problem, could you try to replace in the Package module,
line 370:

SHELL "cd " & Project.Quote(sHome &/ "RPM/SRPMS") & "; alien --to-deb -k " &
Project.Quote(sPackage) WAIT

By:

SHELL "cd " & Project.Quote(sHome &/ "RPM/SRPMS") & "; fakeroot alien --to-deb
-k " & Project.Quote(sPackage) WAIT

Tell me the result!

Benoit Minisini
mailto:***@users.sourceforge.net
Technoferret
2004-09-03 08:22:17 UTC
Post by Benoit Minisini
As for the fakeroot problem, could you try to replace in the Package module,
SHELL "cd " & Project.Quote(sHome &/ "RPM/SRPMS") & "; alien --to-deb -k " &
Project.Quote(sPackage) WAIT
SHELL "cd " & Project.Quote(sHome &/ "RPM/SRPMS") & "; fakeroot alien --to-deb
-k " & Project.Quote(sPackage) WAIT
Tell me the result!
Regards,
Benoit

I changed the line above as you suggested and I also changed the other
line in the script that calls alien.

This has made some improvement and it will now generate a single binary
.deb for me but now I have found 2 more problems (bugs),

1. After the script creates the first .deb I then get the message 'File
already Exists'. It looks to me like it is trying to create the source
.deb with the same name as the binary .deb ?????

2. When I install from the .deb it creates 4 folders with weird names,
e.g./%{_menudir}, /%{_iconsdir}, /%{_liconsdir}, /%{_miconsdir}.
It looks like the script should be installing a system name for the
directories but is creating directories with the variables name instead.
I do not know if this is a script fault or a fault with my debian
(Xandros) installation.

Dave
--
"All electronic components have smoke inside them, once this is released
they will cease to function."
Benoit Minisini
2004-09-03 11:10:15 UTC
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Benoit Minisini
As for the fakeroot problem, could you try to replace in the Package
SHELL "cd " & Project.Quote(sHome &/ "RPM/SRPMS") & "; alien --to-deb -k
" & Project.Quote(sPackage) WAIT
SHELL "cd " & Project.Quote(sHome &/ "RPM/SRPMS") & "; fakeroot alien
--to-deb -k " & Project.Quote(sPackage) WAIT
Tell me the result!
Regards,
Benoit
I changed the line above as you suggested and I also changed the other
line in the script that calls alien.
This has made some improvement and it will now generate a single binary
.deb for me but now I have found 2 more problems (bugs),
1. After the script creates the first .deb I then get the message 'File
already Exists'. It looks to me like it is trying to create the source
.deb with the same name as the binary .deb ?????
OK, I fixed it.
Post by Benoit Minisini
2. When I install from the .deb it creates 4 folders with weird names,
e.g./%{_menudir}, /%{_iconsdir}, /%{_liconsdir}, /%{_miconsdir}.
These are just RPMs macros available on Mandrake that tells where to put the
menu file and the icons files.

Can you tell me, on a Debian, where I should put these files: the menu file
and the icons files ?

Then I will send you a updated Package.module file so that you can continue
testing :-)

Technoferret
2004-09-03 12:56:59 UTC
Post by Benoit Minisini
Can you tell me, on a Debian, where I should put these files: the menu file
and the icons files ?
Then I will send you a updated Package.module file so that you can continue
testing :-)
I am no expert on Debian, just a user of Xandros, but the root of the
menu tree on my system (and also on a Linspire system - also debian) is
/usr/share/applnk/ - so its probably a good starting point.

Icon files are probably best put in /usr/share/pixmaps/ that way they
are theme independent.

Dave
--
"All electronic components have smoke inside them, once this is released
they will cease to function."
Benoit Minisini
2004-09-03 13:36:54 UTC
Post by Technoferret
Post by Benoit Minisini
Can you tell me, on a Debian, where I should put these files: the menu
file and the icons files ?
Then I will send you a updated Package.module file so that you can
continue testing :-)
I am no expert on Debian, just a user of Xandros,
I have never used a Debian at all, so I think I'm in a worst case than you :-)
Post by Technoferret
but the root of the
menu tree on my system (and also on a Linspire system - also debian) is
/usr/share/applnk/ - so its probably a good starting point.
The problem is that this is the KDE menu. Do you have something
like /usr/share/menu, that included files whose name is just the application
name, without ".desktop" after.
Post by Technoferret
Icon files are probably best put in /usr/share/pixmaps/ that way they
are theme independent.
OK.
Post by Technoferret
Dave
Dave Sharples
2004-09-03 13:54:31 UTC
2004-09-03 14:50:56 UTC
Post by Dave Sharples
I found a readme file in /etc/menu that says
/usr/lib/menu and /usr/share/menu are the debian defaults,
on my system the /usr/lib/menu is the one filled with lots of files like
you describe.
I've checked the Linspire system and that also uses /usr/lib/menu
Cheers
Dave
Could you try to run the IDE by using the joined Package.module file, and tell

Technoferret
2004-09-03 16:12:54 UTC
Post by Benoit Minisini
Could you try to run the IDE by using the joined Package.module file, and tell
me the result ?
Regards,
:-(

Benoit,

This fails . Here is the output I get (project is called wibble)
Seems to fail on rpm build, nothing appears in my ~/RPM/RPMS or SRPMS
directories.

<ide output>
Creating package for Debian.
Creating source package.
Creating .spec file.
Creating RPM packages.
The package build has failed.

Executing(%prep): /bin/sh -e /home/dave/RPM/tmp/rpm-tmp.51108 + umask
022 + cd /home/dave/RPM/BUILD + rm -rf
/home/dave/RPM/tmp/wibble-buildroot + cd /home/dave/RPM/BUILD + rm -rf
wibble + /usr/bin/bzip2 -dc /home/dave/RPM/SOURCES/wibble-0.0.tar.bz2 +
tar -xf - + STATUS=0 + '[' 0 -ne 0 ']' + cd wibble + exit 0
Executing(%build): /bin/sh -e /home/dave/RPM/tmp/rpm-tmp.51108 + umask
022 + cd /home/dave/RPM/BUILD + cd wibble + /opt/gambas/bin/gbc -a OK +
gba + exit 0 Executing(%install): /bin/sh -e /home/dave/
</ide output>

<console output>
***@EvilWeasel:~$ gambas
Executing(%prep): /bin/sh -e /home/dave/RPM/tmp/rpm-tmp.99671
+ umask 022
+ cd /home/dave/RPM/BUILD
+ rm -rf /home/dave/RPM/tmp/wibble-buildroot
+ cd /home/dave/RPM/BUILD
+ rm -rf wibble
+ /usr/bin/bzip2 -dc /home/dave/RPM/SOURCES/wibble-0.0.tar.bz2
+ tar -xf -
+ STATUS=0
+ '[' 0 -ne 0 ']'
+ cd wibble
+ exit 0
Executing(%build): /bin/sh -e /home/dave/RPM/tmp/rpm-tmp.99671
+ umask 022
+ cd /home/dave/RPM/BUILD
+ cd wibble
+ /opt/gambas/bin/gbc -a
OK
+ gba
+ exit 0
Executing(%install): /bin/sh -e /home/dave/RPM/tmp/rpm-tmp.99671
+ umask 022
+ cd /home/dave/RPM/BUILD
+ cd wibble
+ install -d /home/dave/RPM/tmp/wibble-buildroot/usr/bin
+ install -p wibble /home/dave/RPM/tmp/wibble-buildroot/usr/bin/wibble
+ install -d /home/dave/RPM/tmp/wibble-buildroot//usr/share/pixmaps
+ install -d /home/dave/RPM/tmp/wibble-buildroot//usr/share/menu
+ install -p .icon/32.png
/home/dave/RPM/tmp/wibble-buildroot//usr/share/pixmaps/wibble.png
+ install -d /home/dave/RPM/tmp/wibble-buildroot//usr/lib/menu
+ cat
+ /usr/lib/rpm/brp-compress
+ /usr/lib/rpm/brp-strip
+ /usr/lib/rpm/brp-strip-comment-note
Processing files: wibble-0.0-1
error: File not found:
/home/dave/RPM/tmp/wibble-buildroot/usr/share/menu/wibble
PreReq: /bin/sh /bin/sh
Requires(interp): /bin/sh /bin/sh
Requires(post): /bin/sh
Requires(postun): /bin/sh
Requires: gambas-runtime >= 0.95 gambas-runtime <= 1.0 gambas-gb-qt >=
0.95 gambas-gb-qt <= 1.0

RPM build errors:
File not found:
/home/dave/RPM/tmp/wibble-buildroot/usr/share/menu/wibble

</console output>

Regards
Dave

PS it will be Mon before I can test any more changes
--
"All electronic components have smoke inside them, once this is released
they will cease to function."
Benoit Minisini
2004-09-03 20:58:22 UTC
Post by Technoferret
Benoit,
This fails . Here is the output I get (project is called wibble)
Seems to fail on rpm build, nothing appears in my ~/RPM/RPMS or SRPMS
directories.
Try with this new Package.module please...
BUDI ARIEF GUSANDI
2004-09-05 06:18:05 UTC
Dear All,

Since i want to develop an embedded system using gambas, is it possible to
reduce unnecessary function in serial port component ? Like Network etc. I
just need the serial port only, so it wont give a big overhead.

Thanks

Budi
Benoit Minisini
2004-09-05 10:01:44 UTC
Post by BUDI ARIEF GUSANDI
Dear All,
Since i want to develop an embedded system using gambas, is it possible to
reduce unnecessary function in serial port component ? Like Network etc. I
just need the serial port only, so it wont give a big overhead.
Thanks
Budi
Why does your anwser appear to a unrelated thread ? Is it a bug in KMail, or
did you falsely answer to the post on "Newbies packaging..." ?

Anyway, you can do what you want with the components. The stripped size of the
networking component is 40K, so maybe you can reduce it to 10K by just
keeping the serial port part ?

BUDI ARIEF GUSANDI
2004-09-06 02:43:03 UTC
What do you mean by "your anwser appear to a unrelated thread" ?

budi

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 12:01:44 +0200, Benoit Minisini
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by BUDI ARIEF GUSANDI
Dear All,
Since i want to develop an embedded system using gambas, is it possible to
reduce unnecessary function in serial port component ? Like Network etc. I
just need the serial port only, so it wont give a big overhead.
Thanks
Budi
Why does your anwser appear to a unrelated thread ? Is it a bug in KMail, or
did you falsely answer to the post on "Newbies packaging..." ?
Anyway, you can do what you want with the components. The stripped size of the
networking component is 40K, so maybe you can reduce it to 10K by just
keeping the serial port part ?
Thank You.

Regards,

Budi
BUDI ARIEF GUSANDI
2004-09-06 02:47:13 UTC
Hi...

1. I try to make executable from executable menu in IDE. I choose desktop
directory as destination of the exec. file. But when i go to the desktop,
the file doesn't exist...Why ?
2. If i make exec. file to the same dir, that works, but when i call the
file from shell. It shows Command Not Found..any can help ?

Thanks

Budi
Chas.Bigham
2004-09-06 06:39:43 UTC
Post by BUDI ARIEF GUSANDI
Hi...
1. I try to make executable from executable menu in IDE. I choose
desktop directory as destination of the exec. file. But when i go to
the desktop, the file doesn't exist...Why ?
2. If i make exec. file to the same dir, that works, but when i call
the file from shell. It shows Command Not Found..any can help ?
Thanks
Budi
when you call the exec file frm the console(command shell) you will need
to use a ./ in front of your exec file name(ex: ./MyGambasExecFile or
/path/to/exec/file/./MyExecFileName)...alternatively, you may also copy
your executable to /bin or /usr/bin and then you can exec it from the
console as normal(ex: MyExecFileName).....i'm not exactly sure why
gambas won't create the executable on your desktop tho...sorry i can't
help you there.....
ron
2004-09-06 07:22:43 UTC
Post by Chas.Bigham
Post by BUDI ARIEF GUSANDI
[...]
Little corection
for /path/to/exec/file/./MyExecFileName it hould be
/path/to/exec/file/MyExecFileName without ./ in front of you exe.

./ is only need if you want to run and the current directory is the one
your exe is in.

A copy is no need but a symlink and after every update of your program
works.
Second at my box a symlink in the /home/ron/bin works too.

For me another strange thing is in konqueror, clicking on the exe does not
work, in Midnight commander pressing enter does.
For some reason konqueror does not the exe the way it should do.
Benoit Minisini
2004-09-06 07:42:02 UTC
Post by ron
Post by Chas.Bigham
Post by BUDI ARIEF GUSANDI
[...]
I know the problem with KDE, but I don't know how to fix it: Konqueror excutes
scripts (Gambas executables are scripts) only if the script interpreter (the
first line of the script) is "well known", i.e. something like #!/bin/sh or
#!/usr/bin/perl.

I think that creating a .desktop file somewhere should solve the problem, but
I have no more information!
Technoferret
2004-09-06 07:47:39 UTC
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Technoferret
Benoit,
This fails . Here is the output I get (project is called wibble)
Seems to fail on rpm build, nothing appears in my ~/RPM/RPMS or SRPMS
directories.
Try with this new Package.module please...
Hi Benoit,

Sorry to say this one fails to make the RPM's just like the last one.
Output is identical.

Dave
--
"All electronic components have smoke inside them, once this is released
they will cease to function."
Benoit Minisini
2004-09-06 09:17:27 UTC
Post by Technoferret
Grrxfgh @#*! And with this one ?
Technoferret
2004-09-06 10:03:00 UTC
Now we're rocking, sort of ;-)

Ok Benoit, I've got it working.
The file you attached hadn't got the alien calls modified to use
fakeroot so I added the fakeroot myself and it now works. I have created
a package and installed it with no major problem.

I have noticed a bit of strange behaviour but it may be my system -
when a .deb is installed that has a menu item update-menus is usually
run but does not seem to be doing so. As I said this may be my system
but I have found one slight difference between the menu files and the
one the package creates. It is only a matter of formatting and after I
manually run update-menus everything is hunky-dory. I have attached a
standard menu file and the one generated by the script for you to
compare. I do not think this is a serious problem though and as I said
it may be related to my system.

Dave
--
"All electronic components have smoke inside them, once this is released
they will cease to function."
Alberto Torres
2004-09-03 16:45:36 UTC
With this you can get a hint about how menu works in debian:

***@dithibox:~$ cat /usr/lib/menu/kpaint
?package(kpaint):\
needs="X11"\
section="Apps/Graphics"\
hints="KDE"\
title="kpaint"\
command="/usr/bin/kpaint"
***@dithibox:~$ cat /usr/lib/menu/koules
?package(koules): \
needs=X11 \
section="Games/Arcade" \
title="XKoules" \
icon="/usr/X11R6/include/X11/pixmaps/koules-icon.xpm" \
longtitle="Space action game for X11" \
description="XKoules is a somewhat abstract space action game for X11
with sound. \
Supports multiplayer deathmatch and cooperative play." \
command="/usr/games/xkoules"
Alberto Torres
2004-09-03 17:31:37 UTC
I start my project, draw some 'regions' in the 'image region editor' and
then, when it ends I get this output:

WARNING: circular references detected
kgImage (1)
kgRegion (3)
WARNING: 15 allocation(s) non freed.

How can I avoid this? are the allocations non freed caused by circular
references?

I have attached the project. I'm using gambas 0.98a compiled from source
(using debuild) in debian sid.

A question: why in the file .project there is a line with an absolute
path like this?:
ExecPath=/home/dithi/Proyectos/koge/kogedesigner/kogedesigner

Cheers
DiThi
Alberto Torres
2004-09-03 21:57:12 UTC
Solved!! It seems that kgRegion only frees correctly when it deletes
itself because circular references (kgRegion.parent)

In frmAnimEd:

PUBLIC SUB Form_Close()

DIM img AS kgImage
DIM rgn AS kgRegion
FOR EACH img IN Images
FOR EACH rgn IN img.Regions
rgn.Delete()
NEXT
img=NULL
NEXT

END

I think my project has interesting features for making examples or
tutorials. You can use the code freely, attached in my previous post

Cheers

Alberto Torres a.k.a DiThi
DiThi
Alberto Torres
2004-09-01 12:37:27 UTC
Hey people!!

First of all I want to thank Benoît Minisini and all developers of
Gambas very much to bring us this great and powerful program developing
tool!!!

I'm making an application witch uses a lot of graphic routines, and I
want to be able to give any image/picture a transparency or alpha
channel, via colorkey value or mask image. Transparency works when I
load a png with alpha channel, but I want to be able to give alpha
channel to any image. How can I do so?

Cheers, DiThi

P.D.: not english native speaker
Mr JH Deval
2004-09-03 22:23:55 UTC
I installed the KDE SDK and Lib and I was able to
compile but when I opened my project I could not open
any code window and after trying 2 it crashed Gambase Completely.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
Benoit Minisini
2004-09-04 08:58:44 UTC
Post by Mr JH Deval
I installed the KDE SDK and Lib and I was able to
compile but when I opened my project I could not open
any code window and after trying 2 it crashed Gambase Completely.
To help you, I need:

1) The complete output of ./configure, make and make install.
2) If the IDE aborted, the gambas error message.
3) If the IDE crashed (no error message box), the stack trace.

How to get 1) and 3) is explained on the website, at the troubleshooting
section.