Community Component Repo
Randall Morgan
2014-05-16 14:21:02 UTC
Hi Everyone,

Is there a standard place on the web for folks to upload and share their
gambas components?

If not, do you think it would be a good idea to create such a place.
Something similar to the Wordpress plugin site maybe.... A place where
folks can upload and share their components, document them, and provide
contact information to users of their components.

I have found a handful of gambas components across the web. Most for gb2.
It would be nice to have a central location for them and perhaps a way to
search that location from the ide, or at least a link in the ide help
browser.

The new wiki site may or may not be a good place for this. Anyone have any
thoughts on the matter?
Tobias Boege
2014-05-16 15:08:17 UTC
Post by Randall Morgan
Hi Everyone,
Is there a standard place on the web for folks to upload and share their
gambas components?
If not, do you think it would be a good idea to create such a place.
Something similar to the Wordpress plugin site maybe.... A place where
folks can upload and share their components, document them, and provide
contact information to users of their components.
I have found a handful of gambas components across the web. Most for gb2.
It would be nice to have a central location for them and perhaps a way to
search that location from the ide, or at least a link in the ide help
browser.
The new wiki site may or may not be a good place for this. Anyone have any
thoughts on the matter?
Do you know [0]? It is not a "platform" but maybe someone can develop it to
be one now that the wiki source code is more modular.

The advantage of doing it inside gambaswiki.org would be that the folks can
benefit from the existing wiki code: you mentioned that people may also want
to document their components there. Well, that would not be difficult to
implement because the wiki logic is already there and running.

I just asked myself: why did that question didn't pop up earlier? I think
the answer is that all the components I've seen are of exactly one of three
kinds (I, myself have one of either kind):

(a) very special-purpose and therefore on the author's or the author's
client's computer or on his website;
(b) unstable and therefore on the author's computer, where it belongs :-) or
(c) general-purpose and at least runnable: then it's in the official source
tree already.

Now, if you think that I want to put your idea down: not so. The reason that
I haven't seen usable components outside the official tree could also be
*caused* be the lack of such a platform. I don't think it would do any bad.
And if a general-enough component is found there, we can kindly ask the
author to maintain it in the official tree later, too.

BUT providing a place to describe and document your component is the less
important thing, IMHO. It would be more important to include a system where
component developers can work on their components, in a version-controlled
manner (!) and show their code to others without having to tar the sources
(*cough* SVN would be ideal so we can easily integrate good components into
the official tree *cough*). That *could* boil down to creating distinct
branches of Gambas on SF's SVN repository...

However, I would really like to hear other's opinions before thinking
further.

Regards,
Tobi

[0] http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/dev/gambas_components
Tobias Boege
2014-05-16 15:24:26 UTC
Post by Tobias Boege
[...]
(a) very special-purpose and therefore on the author's or the author's
client's computer or on his website;
(b) unstable and therefore on the author's computer, where it belongs :-) or
(c) general-purpose and at least runnable: then it's in the official source
tree already.
[...]
BUT providing a place to describe and document your component is the less
important thing, IMHO. It would be more important to include a system where
component developers can work on their components, in a version-controlled
manner (!) and show their code to others without having to tar the sources
(*cough* SVN would be ideal so we can easily integrate good components into
the official tree *cough*). That *could* boil down to creating distinct
branches of Gambas on SF's SVN repository...
Speaking of this, there was once a guy on gambas-devel who proposed some
kind of object-oriented document generation component (IIRC it would support
.odt and .tex) but he apparently discontinued the work on it.

The component clearly belonged to category (b) above but maybe with some
community support (of the kind which requires an online version-controlled
source code repository!) it would have worked out...

Regards,
Tobi
Randall Morgan
2014-05-16 17:31:43 UTC
I have seen Gambas growing in popularity over the past few years, and I
feel something like this could help it grow even more. I think one of the
reasons we see so few components is the lack of a centralized place to host
them. Giving a component author a place to host (even if it is just a wiki
page with a link to SF, BB, or GH, I think would help promote Gambas and
grow the user community. I have not seen the wiki code nor do I know all
the requirements we would need for something like this. But I can tell you
that Wordpress' plugin repo is one of the biggest factors in it's
popularity. Not all the plugins found there are useful, or even well
behaved. However, they provide a voting and comment system that also sends
comments to the plugin author for feedback. The voting system allows users
to see the most popular plugins and the comments allow users to see any
issues. Also, each plugin page specifies what version(s) it works with,
when it was last updated, and provides a link to the author's site or at a
minimum, a contact form to email him. The documentation on the page
provides basic information about the plugin and install directions. One
thing I like most about wordpress is that I can search for a plugin right
from within the admin panel. MSVS also allows me to find components from
within visual studio. It should be trivial to provide a link in the help
ide help info for a component hosting site.

For those who do not know wordpress' plugin hosting site see:
https://wordpress.org/plugins/buddypress/

A System for Gambas that provided the same basic services I think would be
a great idea! The users will sort out what components are worth
downloading, and give feedback to the developers. Just as WordPress has
integrated some plugins into their base code when they became popular,
Gambas could choose to do the same or not. Components would be there for
those who need them. Chances are if you've needed a component for
something, there is someone else out there who could also find a use for
your component. And, if your component has a few bugs, there may be someone
willing to send patches.

Anyhow, I think its important that we discuss this option for the
community. I was just looking at Apache Allura for my own interest. But it
might provide some features for hosting projects if not hosted on SF or
similar.
Post by Tobias Boege
[...]
Post by Tobias Boege
(c) general-purpose and at least runnable: then it's in the official
source
Post by Tobias Boege
tree already.
[...]
Post by Tobias Boege
the official tree *cough*). That *could* boil down to creating distinct
branches of Gambas on SF's SVN repository...
Speaking of this, there was once a guy on gambas-devel who proposed some
kind of object-oriented document generation component (IIRC it would support
.odt and .tex) but he apparently discontinued the work on it.
The component clearly belonged to category (b) above but maybe with some
community support (of the kind which requires an online version-controlled
source code repository!) it would have worked out...
Regards,
Tobi
If you ask me if it can be done. The answer is YES, it can always be done.
The correct questions however are... What will it cost, and how long will
it take?
Benoît Minisini
2014-05-16 20:31:02 UTC
Post by Randall Morgan
I have seen Gambas growing in popularity over the past few years, and I
feel something like this could help it grow even more. I think one of the
reasons we see so few components is the lack of a centralized place to host
them. Giving a component author a place to host (even if it is just a wiki
page with a link to SF, BB, or GH, I think would help promote Gambas and
grow the user community. I have not seen the wiki code nor do I know all
the requirements we would need for something like this. But I can tell you
that Wordpress' plugin repo is one of the biggest factors in it's
popularity....
Good idea. But now let's find someone that can do it...

Here is what I suggest, using your ideas:

- Gambas components are like Linux device drivers: they are part of the
language, and their source code must be in the Gambas source code.

- So let's call the components you are talking about "Gambas user
components" and the other "Gambas kernel components" (just for that mail).

- Make the Gambas user component repository a website entire made with
one Gambas project.

- The website allows to upload a component as a source archive.

- The IDE will be able to automatically download, compile and install
the user components from the website if needed.

- Maybe the interpreter can do it also when running a program!

- These components will only be installed in the user home directory.

- Each user component has a version number. The IDE will then detect a
new version, and will be able to download several versions of the same
component.

- Each user component requires some specifics version of Gambas. For
example >= 3.1 and < 4.0.

- Each user component has its own page on the website. The website user
can post comment on the page, and vote.

- Each user component has an icon, a one-line description, and a longer
description.

- Each user component has a gambas component name. To prevent name clash
with kernel components, we will prefix the component name with something
like "comp.".

- A component name can have synonymous.

What do you think ?

Of course the biggest point is : who will do all that?
Benoît Minisini
B Bruen
2014-05-16 23:21:22 UTC
On Fri, 16 May 2014 22:31:02 +0200
Post by Benoît Minisini
Post by Randall Morgan
[...]
There's a lot of good ideas here in this thread.
But there is one aspect missing. That is, gambas development tools. These are not components, but stand alone applications that aid in developing in gambas. For example, we have a "product oriented project browser" (we have three "products that are comprised of dozens of gambas projects,this tool lets us browse to particular projects within a product and launch the IDE with it loaded. It does other stuff as well.). Another is a set of three of something I'll hesitantly call "code generators" (they don't generate code but they generate a code skeleton). There are three because 2 are very specific to one of our products, but the third is a general purpose generator that both forward and backward engineers classes in a gambas project and provides generation of certain class aspects far above what the IDE offers.

But I am digressing.
We have some components that we have made available via our own website. To my mind they sit somewhere in the middle of all three of Tobi's categories. They are sort of "special purpose", they are somewhat stable but are not official source tree "ready" or better yet "applicable", You can see them at http://paddys-hill.net/wp/gambas/gambas-components/ and yes that is a
B Bruen <***@paddys-hill.net>
B Bruen
2014-05-16 23:35:10 UTC
Post by Benoît Minisini
Post by Randall Morgan
[...]
(dammit! Cut my finger today and typing with a finger stall on is not easy. Rest of post is....)

wordpress site.

Why do we use our own site? Primarily because I could get more control over the page content and the upload/download aspects rather than using the current wiki.

Why do we publish our components? Now this is the important bit.
We get feedback for the functional aspects of the stuff we publish from the users. They'll very readily tell us when something doesn't work but very little about what is good or "what about...? ideas". This is what I'd love to see in a common or centralised "user component" site i.e. feedback from other developers about a component.

jm20c
B Bruen <***@paddys-hill.net>
Randall Morgan
2014-05-16 23:50:33 UTC
LOL I've had your site's component page sitting open in my browser for two
days now. Along with others I have found components on.

Some of your components like the list manger are indeed general components
that others will find useful (thanks for making them available!). But they
would find much more use if there was one location for all gambas user
components, and that location was accessible via the ide.

I am going to be taking on a large project scheduled June 20th. So I may
not be able to complete such a system. But I would love to help where I
can. I do think that either tying the user component system into the wiki
either by extending the wiki or simply by linking via a url would be best
as it would put everything in one location. The two should seem like they
are two sides of the same coin, a unified user support system.

Any thoughts?
it take?
Randall Morgan
2014-05-16 23:53:51 UTC
B Buen,

I think having the ability to publish a component from the ide would be a
great addition! And yes, when you publish a user component you will get
feedback that will help you improve your component. That to me will only
improve Gambas as a whole and increase adoption.
it take?
Randall Morgan
2014-05-16 23:56:51 UTC
Benoit,

To prevent name clashes we could invent a naming scheme that included the
publisher's account name or a portion there of and then require account
names to be unique. I am sure there are other methods we could use as well.
it take?
Randall Morgan
2014-05-17 00:03:12 UTC
I think tools and apps should separate categories and should not be handled
by the ide but should be published along side user components. Annoucing
new applications could be done using rss (something I think the startup
page could use effectively to provide news of new versions and bug fixes as
well as present new tools and components to developers. This would do a
more effective job of marketing gambas to developers.

I think if we are careful about it we could setup a project hosting site
using an existing svn forge system and then start collecting components and
documentation while we work on a gambas implementation for a more complete
system. Any thoughts on that approach?
it take?
Randall Morgan
2014-05-17 05:31:25 UTC
If we produce the Gambas User Component Directory, should we provide snv
hosting for the project or just ask for the source files to be uploaded? Or
maybe provide a mechanism for pulling from an svn repository elsewhere?

Your thoughts?
it take?
Benoît Minisini
2014-05-17 11:16:48 UTC
Post by Randall Morgan
If we produce the Gambas User Component Directory, should we provide snv
hosting for the project or just ask for the source files to be uploaded? Or
maybe provide a mechanism for pulling from an svn repository elsewhere?
Your thoughts?
I was thinking about something like Firefox plugin repository : no svn
source hosting, just a tar.gz of the sources.
Benoît Minisini
Randall Morgan
2014-05-17 11:30:26 UTC
That would make implementation much easier! Pretty much makes it a simple
database app with a web front end. Anyone here good with html page layout?

I'll see what I can do about working something up locally.