Error creating Vector Linux package
Jose J. Rodriguez
2005-04-19 19:54:08 UTC
Hi:

I'm trying to create a package for Vector Linux 5.0 SOHO, using checkinstall
and it gives the following error at the end:

/opt/gambas/lib/gambas/lib.gb.so: not found
make[2]: *** [install-exec-local] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/joe1962/Desktop/gambas-1.0.5'
make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/joe1962/Desktop/gambas-1.0.5'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

**** Installation failed. Aborting package creation.

I checked and there is no lib.gb.so anywhere. Installing by make install
works. Any ideas?

Joe1962
Benoit Minisini
2005-04-21 08:59:10 UTC
Post by Jose J. Rodriguez
I'm trying to create a package for Vector Linux 5.0 SOHO, using
/opt/gambas/lib/gambas/lib.gb.so: not found
make[2]: *** [install-exec-local] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/joe1962/Desktop/gambas-1.0.5'
make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/joe1962/Desktop/gambas-1.0.5'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
**** Installation failed. Aborting package creation.
I checked and there is no lib.gb.so anywhere. Installing by make install
works. Any ideas?
Joe1962
Please send the complete output of the configure/compilation process!

Benoit Minisini
mailto:***@users.sourceforge.net
Jose J. Rodriguez
2005-04-21 18:36:26 UTC
Sorry, forgot to compress the files before, the message was over 256KB and is
Post by Benoit Minisini
Please send the complete output of the configure/compilation process!
Attached 2 files with the complete outputs from ./configure and chekinstall.
The output of make was too long for the console buffer and I don't know how
to increase it at the moment, so I just redirected the output to a file.
However, the error messages still go to the console, so I pasted those in a
separate file, hope you don't need them in exact order :(.

Thanks,
Joe1962
Benoit Minisini
2005-04-25 12:50:31 UTC
Post by Benoit Minisini
Please send the complete output of the configure/compilation process!
Attached 2 files with the complete outputs from ./configure and
chekinstall. The output of make was too long for the console buffer and I
don't know how to increase it at the moment, so I just redirected the
output to a file. However, the error messages still go to the console, so I
pasted those in a separate file, hope you don't need them in exact order
:(.
Thanks,
Joe1962
I don't understand. By reading your output, you see that the symbolic link
'lib.gb.so' is created first at installation, but gbi program can't find it
later. Maybe something destroys it after it was created and before gbi is
launched during the installation process ?

Can you verify that 'lib.gb.so' is really created during installation ? Can
you try to detect if it is destroyed, and when ?

Thanks in advance,
Jose J. Rodriguez
2005-04-26 11:04:55 UTC
Post by Benoit Minisini
[...]
Hmmm... checkinstall is supposed to simulate the install process to create the
install package, without actually installing anything. That's why I had to
install Gambas normally first with make install, otherwise checkinstall
wouldn't work later (no Gambas compiler available otherwise). What is the
purpose of lib.gb.so? Gambas seems to run without it. There are Gambas
Slackware (VL is Slackware based) Packages available on
www.linuxpackages.net, I wonder how they did it? Manually without
checkinstall?

Thanks,
Joe1962
Rob
2005-04-26 14:21:23 UTC
Post by Benoit Minisini
Can you verify that 'lib.gb.so' is really created during
installation ? Can you try to detect if it is destroyed, and when
Gambas seems to run without it. There are Gambas Slackware (VL is
Slackware based) Packages available on
www.linuxpackages.net, I wonder how they did it? Manually without
checkinstall?
Gambas' make install doesn't seem to install lib.gb.so*, so I cp -a
them in my Mandrake RPM spec file after make install completes and
before the packages' file lists are checked.

Rob
Benoit Minisini
2005-05-11 09:16:54 UTC
Post by Rob
Post by Benoit Minisini
Can you verify that 'lib.gb.so' is really created during
installation ? Can you try to detect if it is destroyed, and when
Gambas seems to run without it. There are Gambas Slackware (VL is
Slackware based) Packages available on
www.linuxpackages.net, I wonder how they did it? Manually without
checkinstall?
Gambas' make install doesn't seem to install lib.gb.so*, so I cp -a
them in my Mandrake RPM spec file after make install completes and
before the packages' file lists are checked.
Rob
I never encountered this problem. 'lib.gb.so' is made by the 'Makefile.am'
file in the ./main/gbx directory, then it is used by 'gbi2' to extract
information about the interpreter native classes, and then it is destroyed.

Very strange...
Jose J. Rodriguez
2005-05-08 21:20:17 UTC
Post by Rob
Post by Benoit Minisini
Can you verify that 'lib.gb.so' is really created during
installation ? Can you try to detect if it is destroyed, and when
Gambas seems to run without it. There are Gambas Slackware (VL is
Slackware based) Packages available on
www.linuxpackages.net, I wonder how they did it? Manually without
checkinstall?
Gambas' make install doesn't seem to install lib.gb.so*, so I cp -a
them in my Mandrake RPM spec file after make install completes and
before the packages' file lists are checked.
Hi Rob,

make install gives this output (relevant part):

Creating the library info files...
/opt/gambas/share/gambas/info/gb.debug.info
/opt/gambas/share/gambas/info/gb.eval.info
/opt/gambas/share/gambas/info/gb.db.info
/opt/gambas/share/gambas/info/gb.compress.info
/opt/gambas/share/gambas/info/gb.xml.libxml.xslt.info
/opt/gambas/share/gambas/info/gb.xml.libxml.rpc.info
/opt/gambas/share/gambas/info/gb.xml.libxml.info
/opt/gambas/share/gambas/info/gb.qt.editor.info
/opt/gambas/share/gambas/info/gb.qt.ext.info
/opt/gambas/share/gambas/info/gb.qt.kde.html.info
/opt/gambas/share/gambas/info/gb.qt.kde.info
/opt/gambas/share/gambas/info/gb.qt.info
/opt/gambas/share/gambas/info/gb.net.curl.info
/opt/gambas/share/gambas/info/gb.net.info
/opt/gambas/share/gambas/info/gb.sdl.info
/opt/gambas/share/gambas/info/gb.vb.info
/opt/gambas/share/gambas/info/gb.info

Installing the development environment...
Compiling gambas...
OK
Compiling gambas-database-manager...
OK

checkinstall, on the other hand, gives this:

[...]
`/mnt/linux/downloads/kget/develop/gambas/gambas-1.0.6/gambas-1.0.6'
make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/mnt/linux/downloads/kget/develop/gambas/gambas-1.0.6/gambas-1.0.6'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

****  Installation failed. Aborting package creation.

Cleaning up...OK

Bye.

Narrowing it down further, as you can see, with make install:

/opt/gambas/share/gambas/info/gb.vb.info
/opt/gambas/share/gambas/info/gb.info

while checkinstall does this:

/opt/gambas/share/gambas/info/gb.vb.info
/opt/gambas/lib/gambas/lib.gb.so: not found

Any ideas why it's different with checkinstall?
Why /opt/gambas/lib/gambas/lib.gb.so
after /opt/gambas/share/gambas/info/gb.vb.info instead
of /opt/gambas/share/gambas/info/vb.info, as with make install?

Thanks,
Joe1962
Rob
2005-05-11 18:13:33 UTC
Post by Jose J. Rodriguez
Any ideas why it's different with checkinstall?
Why /opt/gambas/lib/gambas/lib.gb.so
after /opt/gambas/share/gambas/info/gb.vb.info instead
of /opt/gambas/share/gambas/info/vb.info, as with make install?
I have no idea.... checkinstall is just something rpmbuild does, and I
don't know where it gets its ideas on what to look for. Maybe it
looks for all the files in %files plus anything ending in .so.

Rob