[Gambas-user] Pre-release of Gambas 3.10.0
Tony Morehen
2017-07-18 17:12:45 UTC
I'll compile and start using it right away. In the meantime, a feature
request:

Currently, a menu item with children does nothing before displaying its
child menu items. I propose that the parent menu raise a click event
before displaying its children. This would allow you to show/not show
enable/disable child menu items based on the current state of the app or
its environment.

For example, when the edit menu is clicked, you can enable/disable the
paste item based on the state of the clipboard.

This change should not affect existing apps as they will not have click
handlers for parent menus.
Hi,
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gambas/files/gambas3/gambas3-3.10.0.tar.bz2/download
Can people test it and report any problem before I make the release
public?
Thanks in advance!
PICCORO McKAY Lenz
2017-07-18 17:52:17 UTC
seems the problems in odbc are still present, why? please gambas witout
odbc are a toy to play with mysql and postgres!

Lenz McKAY Gerardo (PICCORO)
http://qgqlochekone.blogspot.com
PICCORO McKAY Lenz
2017-07-18 20:15:05 UTC
SORRY i send and all the conversation was beetwen benoit and me without
noted it!!! seerending!
Of course, for proprietary databases, this is a problem. We must wait for
zxMarce to fix the driver. That's life...
ahhh that's better response rather than "use mysql its great" or "migrate
to mysql".. uffff

ok the problem its that i cannot upgrade my OS's so i hope gambas will not
raise depends again until this issues wirth odbc have solved!

Help us "zxMarce" you are our only hope!! "you are the chose man" (umm that
sound like a movie frase, sounds familiar ! )
ok but for enterprise and migration tool to those databases i need pleny
access with gambas to sybase, mssql, informix, gambas had very bad support
in that DBMS and for worse, the odbc in gambas has some issues with that
databases...
how can i migrate and promote opensource with mysql if i can access pleny
with the application in those DBMS?
of course, many here now will said "use another languaje, use another
platform" or must be that the point?
PICCORO McKAY Lenz
2017-07-18 20:38:19 UTC
wheantime i do that, but are quite slower and ocmplicated due memory hungy
in large datasets!

also i notes that when i work with collections the IDE becomes slower, some
icons dissapears and then hangs after many minutes of use it!

i'll try to report this before but a low interes happened! the problem
persist in gambas 3.10
Post by PICCORO McKAY Lenz
SORRY i send and all the conversation was beetwen benoit and me without
noted it!!! seerending!
Of course, for proprietary databases, this is a problem. We must wait for
zxMarce to fix the driver. That's life...
... >
Moreover, I think you can workaround the problems of the ODBC driver by
reimplementing the Result class in Gambas, overriding the accurate
properties (Count) and methods (Move...), and fixing the default behaviour
according to the Connection type.
' Result class
Export
Property Read Count As Integer
Private Sub Count_Read() As Integer
If Me.Connection.Type = "odbc" Then
' workaround
Else
Return Super.Count
Endif
End
Benoît Minisini
Tony Morehen
2017-07-18 21:10:31 UTC
Because when I saw them I confused them with Show and Hide methods. Duh!

Another request. Is it possible to expose/export the DirCache class.
I've been using it in several derivatives of some of your other classes
(Dirview, FileChooser etc)

BTW I have several compoments I have been working on. How do I submit
them for your approval and possible inclusion in Gambas.

One is Filebrower, based on Dirview. It's drop in compatible with
DirView but adds two additional properties to allow the display of files
in the tree and to sort folders first. It also has an added event
GetSpecialIcon(sPath As String, iIconType As Integer), which is like the
Icon event but includes a flag specifying folder, open folder or file.

Another component is UpDown. It is derived from Spinbar with a property
(Showbar) that toggles the display of the bar. I needed a SpinBox with
a float value.

On a more trivial note, I have a status bar component, based on code I
found floating on the web.

Finally, I'd like to say how amazingly satisfying it is to work with
Gambas. So far I have developed a Desktop Panel and Menu, a Text
Editor, a File Explorer and a car computer app that runs on a Raspberry
Pi and plays audiovideo and embeds NavIt, plus other projects. I intend
to upload these to the software farm, testing permitted. Attached is a
screen shot showing off some of these projects.
Why don't you use the Show and Hide events?
PICCORO McKAY Lenz
2017-07-18 22:27:42 UTC
Post by Tony Morehen
Finally, I'd like to say how amazingly satisfying it is to work with
Gambas. So far I have developed a Desktop Panel and Menu, a Text Editor, a
File Explorer and a car computer app that runs on a Raspberry Pi and plays
audiovideo and embeds NavIt, plus other projects. I intend to upload these
to the software farm, testing permitted. Attached is a screen shot showing
off some of these projects.
its great that a languaje has so easy to lear.. i really need the odbc
componente to fixed due make programs in gambas are sure for easy! the
most easy to make its gambas

i dont understand why python its so famous, i understand now! gambas not
have enough support and vision!
Post by Tony Morehen
BTW I have several compoments I have been working on. How do I submit
them for your approval and possible inclusion in Gambas.
One is Filebrower, based on Dirview. It's drop in compatible with DirView
but adds two additional properties to allow the display of files in the
tree and to sort folders first. It also has an added event
GetSpecialIcon(sPath As String, iIconType As Integer), which is like the
Icon event but includes a flag specifying folder, open folder or file.
Another component is UpDown. It is derived from Spinbar with a property
(Showbar) that toggles the display of the bar. I needed a SpinBox with a
float value.
On a more trivial note, I have a status bar component, based on code I
found floating on the web.
the best place to put your code its a git repo, please use gitlab due
github are close to closed source and privative software
Fernando Cabral
2017-07-18 23:18:59 UTC

Post by PICCORO McKAY Lenz
componente to fixed due make programs in gambas are sure for easy! the
most easy to make its gambas
i dont understand why python its so famous, i understand now! gambas not
have enough support and vision!
Piccoro, I want to give you for free my two cents on this issue.

As I see it, Gambas is a free-to-use language. Free and "as is". *No
guarantees*. It means, take it, or leave it.

It was developed and made available by a volunteer with the eventual help
of other volunteers. So, I can't understand why you insist in saying things
like "gambas [has] not enough support and vision!".

I don't think this is a nice thing to say when you have free lunch. The
least I can say is that you should not look a gift horse in the mouth. Or,
as the Romans used to say, "Noli equi dentes inspicere donati". This can be
translated to plain English (I think) as "don't be ungrateful when you
receive a gift.

If you need a good ODBC interface and Gambas doesn't provide it, perhaps
you can develop it yourself and make it available for other people that may
have the same need. That would be much appreciated, I am sure.

Otherwise, you can use other available libraries (I am sure there are many).
If neither is attractive to you, then you can give up Gambas and try
something different.

I think saying Gambas has not "enough support and vision" is not a good way
to obtain what you want.

Those are my two cents. After that, I'll shut my mouth up as far as this
issue is concerned.

Best regards

- fernando
Post by Tony Morehen
Post by Tony Morehen
its environment.
For example, when the edit menu is clicked, you can enable/disable the
paste item based on the state of the clipboard.
This change should not affect existing apps as they will not have click
handlers for parent menus.
Why don't you use the Show and Hide events?
Fernando Cabral
Blogue: http://fernandocabral.org
Twitter: http://twitter.com/fjcabral
e-mail: ***@gmail.com
Facebook: ***@fcabral.com.br
Telegram: +55 (37) 99988-8868
Wickr ID: fernandocabral
WhatsApp: +55 (37) 99988-8868
Skype: fernandojosecabral
Telefone fixo: +55 (37) 3521-2183
Telefone celular: +55 (37) 99988-8868

Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.
PICCORO McKAY Lenz
2017-07-18 23:45:37 UTC
by second chance fernando you dont have the complete overall of the threath
and also the problem of odbc has all my colaboration... please search for
the bugtracketr..
Post by PICCORO McKAY Lenz
Post by PICCORO McKAY Lenz
Post by PICCORO McKAY Lenz
Post by PICCORO McKAY Lenz
Post by Tony Morehen
Post by Tony Morehen
paste item based on the state of the clipboard.
This change should not affect existing apps as they will not have
click
Post by PICCORO McKAY Lenz
Post by Tony Morehen
handlers for parent menus.
Sebastián Kulesz
2017-07-19 15:01:21 UTC
Hi Benoît,

I wanted to ask you what were the component changes since the last release.
I am on an exchange in Germany and couldn't really follow the progress on
this development cycle.
Specifically, any added or removed components. And any changes of
dependencies. With that information, and as soon as I have time, I will
update the PPAs.

Regards,
Sebastian

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 5:56 PM, Benoît Minisini via Gambas-user <
Fabien Bodard
2017-07-22 06:12:25 UTC
Le 22 juil. 2017 03:56, "Benoît Minisini via Gambas-user" <
Post by Sebastián Kulesz
Hi Benoît,
I wanted to ask you what were the component changes since the last release.
I am on an exchange in Germany and couldn't really follow the progress on
this development cycle.
Specifically, any added or removed components. And any changes of
dependencies. With that information, and as soon as I have time, I will
update the PPAs.
Regards,
Sebastian
Mmm... I can tell you the new components:

- gb.term : written in C, depends only on the libc.

- gb.term.form : written in Gambas, depends on gb.term (because of Fabien's
mistake, the dependency is missing. It is fixed in revision #8165, and I
will regenerate a source package).

I'm not sure this component is ready to do something interesting for the
time. Maybe I can work on it on hollidays.

- gb.web.feed : written in Gambas, depends on gb.xml.

Anyway you have to check the dependencies of the binary packages with the
component tables on that page: http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/howto/package

It lists all dependencies dynamically from the component information files,
so it is up to date.

For dependencies on system libraries, I have updated the Ubuntu
installation page: http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/install/ubuntu

AFAIK, the only boring dependency is "postgresql-server-dev-X.Y", because
there is the version inside the package name, so you have to change the
package according to the Ubuntu version.

Regards,
--
Benoît Minisini

herberth guzman
2017-07-19 16:10:14 UTC
Regards Benoit

In the menu New Project, the list of the types of applications that we want
to create are shown, example:

Application QT
(Application using the component QT5 or QT4)

Application GTK+ 3
(pplication using the component GTK+3)

Application Web
(Scrip CGI).

It is possible to create a new one that says:

"Web Form Application"
(You can create Web Form)

Herberth Guzman
PICCORO McKAY Lenz
2017-07-19 16:18:00 UTC
Post by herberth guzman
"Web Form Application"
(You can create Web Form)
ah right its missing of can at least choose/convert the cgi to a mix of cgi
and form and let user removed manually if not want any of forms

seems something of gtk2 are removed? i only can see gtk3 or i forget
something in compliation!?
Post by herberth guzman
Herberth Guzman
herberth guzman
2017-07-19 16:35:35 UTC
My system tray does not work with gb.qt5.
I remember you had it run in revision # 7098

I know that KDE 5 dropped the support for the old system tray protocol.

It is possible to temporarily run the system tray, please.

Thanks

Herberth Guzman
PICCORO McKAY Lenz
2017-07-19 16:40:29 UTC
Post by herberth guzman
I know that KDE 5 dropped the support for the old system tray protocol.
the gnome-puach also dropped some about it..

i think that this component must have a citation that oly works with normal
desktops.. like lxde and mate..
openbox+fbpanel and lxde still use the old/today behaviour.. why follow
those desktops that want to change everithig are working?
Fabien Bodard
2017-07-19 20:19:43 UTC
you need to use the gb.gui.trayicon component

http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/comp/gb.gui.trayicon

witch support all the protocols
Fabien Bodard
PICCORO McKAY Lenz
2017-07-19 20:28:14 UTC
i like it:!
but, alas, KDE and Ubuntu implementations are mutually incompatible! Well
done guys

totally right!!, that's why i dont like such stupid thing and changes..

Gianluigi
2017-07-19 21:36:43 UTC
Thank you Benoit,
here it seems to work well.

Regards
Gianluigi

[System]
Gambas=3.10
OperatingSystem=Linux
Kernel=4.4.0-83-generic
Architecture=x86
Distribution=Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS
Desktop=XFCE
Theme=Cleanlooks
Language=it_IT.UTF-8
Memory=3018M

Christof Thalhofer
2017-07-20 20:49:46 UTC
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gambas/files/gambas3/gambas3-3.10.0.tar.bz2/download
Can people test it and report any problem before I make the release public?
Thanks in advance!
I will try it out at the weekend ... then I have time.

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer
Dies ist keine Signatur
Christof Thalhofer
2017-07-22 08:38:18 UTC
Post by Christof Thalhofer
I will try it out at the weekend ... then I have time.
I just tested Gambas daily, it does some weird thing with indentation in
the editor of the IDE when a string before an "If" goes over more than
one line.

I have installed:

3.9.90+svn8165+build3~ubuntu16.04.1

Attached there is a piece of code copied out of the editor. If you look at

"If msg Then"

This If has not the right indentation.

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer
Dies ist keine Signatur
Christof Thalhofer
2017-07-23 09:34:39 UTC
Post by Christof Thalhofer
This If has not the right indentation.
That bug should have been fixed in revision #8166.
Ok, thanks!

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer
Dies ist keine Signatur