[Gambas-user] About gambas, the word
Fernando Cabral
2017-07-13 06:37:06 UTC
*Warning: this is only a linguistic curiosity with no relation to Gambas,
the language.*

Entirely by chance, I came across the following definition and etymology
for gambas, the word:

*From Petit Robert 2007: gambasgambas [gɑ̃bas] nom féminin plurielétym.
répandu v. 1960; catalan gamba, du latin populaire cambarus, classique
cammarus, du grec kammarosv■ Grosses crevettes comestibles de la
Méditerranée. Gambas frites (è scampi), grillées. Brochette de gambas.▫
Rare Une gamba [gɑ̃ba].*
In Brazil, I never heard the word gamba. I never found it in written text.
Nevertheless, at least one Brazilian dictionary registers it as a Spanish
word only recently introduced into Portuguese. So, perhaps it is used in
Portugal.

Anyway, it is interesting to know that, in the end, it comes from Greek
"kammaros" that gave us the Portuguese "camarão" and the Italian
"gamberetto". Nevertheless, at the first sight, it is hard to see that
"gamba" and "camarão" come from the same Greek word.
--
Fernando Cabral
Blogue: http://fernandocabral.org

Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.
Jorge Carrión

Charlie Reinl
2017-07-13 08:36:13 UTC
Post by Fernando Cabral
[...]
There is the old meaning : Gambas Almost Means BASIC!

look here http://gambas.sourceforge.net/en/main.html
--
Amicalement
Charlie
PICCORO McKAY Lenz
2017-07-13 15:34:52 UTC
Post by Jorge Carrión
Benoit likes to eat prawns, I soppouse...
ka ka ka ka
Post by Jorge Carrión
.< 😅
as a post note: GAMBAS acron of that its not basic
Post by Jorge Carrión
😁😁😁
Best Regards
Jussi Lahtinen

Fabien Bodard
2017-07-13 20:28:49 UTC
Post by Jussi Lahtinen
Many open source projects have animal name or logo. So I guess it's just
old tradition.
In fact the tradition for geek programmers in the unix world was to
find a recurssive acronym.

It means the Name is an acronym that contain the name itself

WINE = Wine Is Not Emulator

GAMBAS = Gambas Almost Mean BASic

So the logo of something looking a bit to a shrimp was a logical
choice... Well normally shrimps have not claws... but i find it give
an idea of super powerfull shrimp ;-)
Post by Jussi Lahtinen
Jussi
Fabien Bodard
PICCORO McKAY Lenz
2017-07-13 20:58:24 UTC
all of this conversation give so much hungry:

a coup of WINE, with some friet GAMBAS!

Lenz McKAY Gerardo (PICCORO)
http://qgqlochekone.blogspot.com
Post by Fabien Bodard
Post by Jussi Lahtinen
Many open source projects have animal name or logo. So I guess it's just
old tradition.
In fact the tradition for geek programmers in the unix world was to
find a recurssive acronym.
It means the Name is an acronym that contain the name itself
WINE = Wine Is Not Emulator
GAMBAS = Gambas Almost Mean BASic
So the logo of something looking a bit to a shrimp was a logical
choice... Well normally shrimps have not claws... but i find it give
an idea of super powerfull shrimp ;-)
Post by Jussi Lahtinen
Jussi
Post by Jussi Lahtinen