[Gambas-user] Gambas on Windows - Alternative
Daniel Campos
2008-03-21 12:09:51 UTC
Hi:

I don't know if anybody wrote here about this topic, but I've just
tested a Linux environment on Windows capable to run Gambas2 IDE and
applications without any problem. You can find it here:
http://www.andlinux.org (It is GPL'ed)

It is based on cooperative-linux, a Linux kernel running on Windows.
It adds a rootless X server as well as some graphical applications (or
a complete KDE system if you want to download a 700 Mb installer).

It runs Linux 32-bits binaries, and provides a basic Ubuntu system,
that is, you just need to download Gambas packages for Ubuntu, and
start it from a console.

If anybody is interested in that project, creating a custom AndLinux
distribution without extra stuff, just with colinux kernel, X-Server
and the libraries needed to run Gambas2, could be a good idea.

Compared to Cygwin systems, It works really fast, applications seem to
be running on a native Linux system, and If you want, you can provide
access to the entire hard disk to manage files in your system.

I've been testing it on my Laptop (32bits Win Vista + Intel Core Duo +
1GB RAM) and everything works fast and without problems. I tested the
RAD environment and some examples (basic and networking). Both QT and
GTK+ Gambas apps work.

Using that system you don't need a Linux server connected with a
Windows+X server system, and you don't need to compile anything, just
download your apps using apt!

Daniel
Benoit Minisini
2008-03-21 12:16:46 UTC
Post by Daniel Campos
[...]
Do you have some screenshots?

I'm currently trying to compile Gambas on Cygwin. There are a *lot* of
problems, and the cygwin architecture reveals many bugs (memory alignment
problems at the moment). So I don't totally lost my time. :-)

Anyway, do you think it is possible to create a andlinux distribution
with "just" Gambas, and creates an icon on the windows desktop to run a
gambas application by automatically initializing all the stuff?
Benoit Minisini
José Luis Redrejo
2008-03-21 12:28:35 UTC
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Daniel Campos
[...]
I do think so, as Daniel says there's no much magic on andlinux.org. The
tricky part is the kernel:http://www.colinux.org/ . Having such kernel, any
distribution could be done: mandriva, debian, redhat, etc. and you only have
to decide the packages to include there.
It would have been a nice GSoC project but we're two weeks later for this
year projects.
Regards.
José Luis Redrejo
2008-03-21 12:33:52 UTC
Post by José Luis Redrejo
Post by Benoit Minisini
Post by Daniel Campos
[...]
Well, a howto to build any distribution with colinux is here:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=8B83D09529A28D4E9768DBF3DC23913801A76295%40e-exch.emblazer.com
There is also a wikipage called "Converting distributions" describing the
process:
http://colinux.wikia.com/wiki/Converting_Distributions

More info in the colinux faq:
http://colinux.wikia.com/wiki/CoLinux_FAQ

Regards
José L.
M0E Lnx
2008-03-21 15:32:22 UTC
That's almost like running qemu or Virtualbox on windows.

I used CoLinux for a while when I began my way out of windows and into Linux...
Good for a linux newbie...

But that doesn't mean gambas will be running on windows... it is
really a Linux distro running inside a windows environment... You do
everything like you would in Linux...

You can really run just about any distro inside CoLinux if you manage
to get your configuration and your image right... so it's really just
Linux inside windows.
Post by José Luis Redrejo
Ron
2008-03-21 15:57:15 UTC
Post by M0E Lnx
That's almost like running qemu or Virtualbox on windows.
I used CoLinux for a while when I began my way out of windows and into Linux...
Good for a linux newbie...
But that doesn't mean gambas will be running on windows... it is
really a Linux distro running inside a windows environment... You do
everything like you would in Linux...
You can really run just about any distro inside CoLinux if you manage
to get your configuration and your image right... so it's really just
Not the same but I have chosen this route:

I ran a headless server at home (for email/web/domotics etc) with debian
etch,
I have installed a basic gnome desktop and freenx on it.

Installed the freenx client on my windows machine at work (laptop) and
at home, configured ssh, and presto i can run and develop in gambas from
anywhere
and the freenx client can be run in full screen mode, and is fast.
I like it...

Regards,
Ron.
Ron
2008-03-21 16:14:51 UTC
Post by Ron
Post by M0E Lnx
[...]
And you don't need to start a whole gnome desktop, if you setup the
connection to just run remote command gambas2, you get only gambas ide
in a ms window which integrates nicely.

I currently develop a webcgi so I don't have to run anything else on
linux desktop, and can test from firefox in windows.

Regards.
M0E Lnx
Robert Rowe

Benoit Minisini
2008-03-22 20:25:24 UTC
Post by Robert Rowe
I just installed it here at work and it works great.
Robert Rowe
Apparently, it does not work inside VirtualBox...
Benoit Minisini
Nx GT-R BOY
2008-03-21 16:58:08 UTC
Post by Daniel Campos
If anybody is interested in that project, creating a custom AndLinux
distribution without extra stuff, just with colinux kernel, X-Server
and the libraries needed to run Gambas2, could be a good idea.
Thats pretty nice, I would like to do that since I was actually trying to
create a custom VM for my gambas project (http://systemarpi.googlepages.com)
(the English side is still under construction so, you can expect some
grammatic errors), since most of the people have downloaded the app, wants
to run it under Windows, and the VM option didn't sound nice to them.

People don't like to download 700mb to test a 10mb GambasX project hehe...
so.... keep size as low a possible is the key for success
Post by Daniel Campos
I've been testing it on my Laptop (32bits Win Vista + Intel Core Duo +
1GB RAM) and everything works fast and without problems. I tested the
RAD environment and some examples (basic and networking). Both QT and
GTK+ Gambas apps work.
Did you need to install the whole 700mb package to be able to run QT app?

Por cierto, ¿hablas español? (daniel campos), tu nombre me suena de habla
española.
Nx GT-R
Daniel Campos
2008-03-21 18:21:23 UTC
Post by Nx GT-R BOY
Thats pretty nice, I would like to do that since I was actually trying to
create a custom VM for my gambas project (http://systemarpi.googlepages.com)
(the English side is still under construction so, you can expect some
grammatic errors), since most of the people have downloaded the app, wants
to run it under Windows, and the VM option didn't sound nice to them.
Then welcome to that project :-)
Post by Nx GT-R BOY
People don't like to download 700mb to test a 10mb GambasX project hehe...
so.... keep size as low a possible is the key for success
I downloaded a 150Mb installer: XFCE + X Window system + Basic Ubuntu
system. Once it is installed it is easy to remove packages, just using
apt-get. I removed every package related to XFCE. I would like to
remove Firefox too, but then we could find a way to run the
documentation using a native browser.

I think a basic system + X Window + Gambas could be about 50 Mb (may
be a bit more). Not bad if you compare it with the 4 CD set for VB6!
Post by Nx GT-R BOY
Por cierto, ¿hablas español? (daniel campos), tu nombre me suena de habla
española.
Yes I speak spanish, as you can see I have Spanish accent when talking
english :-)

Daniel
Daniel Campos
2008-03-21 18:27:19 UTC
If you really plan to create that custom Win distribution, there are a
couple of things that we have to figure out in order to make it
really useable:

1) Filesystem: That virtualization system uses its own filesystem (a
folder inside the Windows filesystem). You can select to use "CuFS" to
have access to all the main filesystem. It would be a good idea to
select an standard path for that (I used /mnt/windows) that way every
programmer could have access to the entire filesystem.

2) How to deal with Windows executables? I you want to use EXEC or
SHELL, I think you can do it only with Linux executables, at this
moment... or may it will work with Windows executables inside the real
filesystem? Anybody to test it?

3) Once we can run Windows executables, the RAD Gambas application
should use a native browser (IE or Firefox)

Daniel